We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - dining

Which Isle of Palms hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
346 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - dining

Thought I’d post my restaurant reviews separately from my Wild Dunes trip report. We stayed at Wild Dunes for a week.

Paige’s Okra Grill – This wasn’t even on my list, but I’m so glad we stopped here on a whim. Ate her 4 times. Once for lunch, which was just ok (fried chicken was nothing great, mac and cheese and burger very good). But we had breakfast here 3 times and oh my god it was fabulous (had shrimp and grits – the best, country fried steak and eggs and shem creek omlet). All were fabulous. Additional bonuses – it’s cheap and the staff is so beyond friendly. This was my favorite place. Will definitely return on future trips.

Taco Mamacita – Would return, had sloppy nachos and tacos. A little too much extra stuff on tacos, hard to taste the shrimp and chicken (but they were fabulous), I think all the bacon threw it off a little. Would return, hold the bacon.

Hometown BBQ – I loved this place. Had ribs, mac and cheese, smoked wings, coleslaw. Have had better ribs and wasn’t crazy about having to put my own sauce on. The wings, were too die for. We got as an appetizer and I wished I’d had a dozen. Mac and cheese also fabulous. Would return.

Jestine’s Kitchen – Way overrated in my opinion. Chicken was dry and tasteless. Would not return.

Boathouse – Hmm, nothing wowed me enough to return. If you are looking for ambiance I guess so. I had shrimp and grits and preferred the preparation at Paige’s much better. Boathouse is a very spicy sauce, grits not grit cakes. My husband had the fettucini with seafood and it was good. Desserts just ok.

Sullivans – It was OK. If you are looking for a lot of ok food for your money it fits that bill. If you are looking for above average food I would go elsewhere. Would not return. Fried shrimp and flounder were ok but sides – salad, coleslaw, were totally bland to me.

Wild Dunes – Hudson’s Market is just ok but I would just go to Whole Foods and get some of their prepared foods. Much better and much cheaper. Hudson’s selection is very slim. Sea Grill – HORRIBLE, SLOW service. Even when there are only 3 tables. Very limited menu. That said the grilled chicken cobb salad is very good and the Belgium waffle at breakfast was great. Wild Olive – just ate here last night and didn’t expect much. Coconut prawn appetizer very good. Had the rib eye and it was fabulous! The sides – veggies and some time of scalloped cheese potatoe with garlic and green onions were also fabulous. Sorry we only ate here once. All in all though, if you aren’t staying at wild dunes, I would not make a trip here to eat.

Lastly, we had a seven month old with us and all restaurants were very accomodating ot us.

Tonight’s our last food night. Not sure where we’ll end up. Maybe Coast in Charleston or maybe Long Point Grille.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - dining

Are you referring to the Wild Olive on John's Island? That is the only one I know of. The wording in the last few sentences about it threw me off a bit.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
346 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - dining

Oh no, sorry, i meant Lettered Olive at Wild Dunes!

3. Re: Trip report - dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 22:16