We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closer to Front Beach or Wild Dunes?

KY
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Closer to Front Beach or Wild Dunes?

We are looking for a spring break location to accommodate our group of 7 families and Isle of Palms looks like a great choice. We will have 13 kids, mostly middle school ages, who like to swim and bike. The kids like to have easy access to little shops for ice cream and such. Some of the adults like to have easy access to pubs and rooftop bars to watch soccer and relax. Other adults like to have easy access to the beach.

How far is the distance from Wild Dunes to Front Beach (I am map impaired)? It looks like Wild Dunes offers great beach access and outdoor amenities, but Front Beach provides more entertainment options. Is this an accurate assessment?

We usually rent two houses in close proximity, at least one with a heated pool. Should I be looking closer to Front Beach or Wild Dunes?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closer to Front Beach or Wild Dunes?

The "front beach" area is going to be much more crowded, due to the shops,etc and the location of the county park. It is by far the most crowded area of the IOP beaches. That may affect your decision. Wild Dunes to front beach is not walkable or bike-able for the kids.

KY
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closer to Front Beach or Wild Dunes?

Am I correct in thinking that there are little to no ice cream shops and pubs and such in the Wild Dunes area?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closer to Front Beach or Wild Dunes?

I live on the island, but not in WD, so don't really have any reason to go there. I'm not sure what they have within the resort. The resort is gated, so unless you are staying within it, you will not have access to the things there. ie ~ if you choose a house "near" the resort.

KY
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closer to Front Beach or Wild Dunes?

Some of the homes that rent near Wild Dunes claim the rental includes an access card to Wild Dunes pools, etc. We've had mixed results with that sort of thing in other rentals, but it could be a nice thing if it really worked out. :)

How busy is Palm Blvd. by the 25th avenue beach access? Would it be difficult to cross during spring break traffic? Do cars stop for pedestrians at crosswalks?

How easy it to walk or bike from the 25th Avenue at Cameron over to the shops and pubs at Ocean Blvd? It only looks like it is about a mile in distance. Are there bike paths?

Thanks!!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closer to Front Beach or Wild Dunes?

Palm Blvd. is the busiest street on the island. It is the main traffic flow up and down the island, so yes, it's going to be fairly difficult to cross. If it's clear one way, often cars are coming the other way, etc. There are no bike paths. It would not be far to the shops, etc and would not be hard to get there, other than dealing with crossing the road. I will be honest, people often drive far too fast on Palm Blvd, even tho the speed limit is 35 mph. and often those people are tourists from out of state.

If you can find something on the beach side of Palm Blvd, it would eliminate lots of the traffic issue.

There are approx 5,000 full time, permanent residents here, plus all the tourist traffic, so it does add up to lots of cars on the road each day. I don't know your kids, so I can't say if they are mature enough to deal with crossing thru the traffic, etc without having to have an adult with them each time.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closer to Front Beach or Wild Dunes?

Wild Dunes does have a shop that offers ice cream, etc, along with some souvenirs.

You can bike from Wild Dunes to front beach on IOP. There are bike paths on Waterway. However, those bike paths end before you can get to front beach. Depending on day of the week and traffic, I suggest the bike path on Waterway to 20th Ave, then bike up 20th Ave to Palm Blvd. If traffic is light, you can go the next couple of blocks to the left that takes you to front beach. Otherwise, just get off the bikes and walk those 2 blocks.

That said, I've got a rising 8th grader, and I won't let her ride her bike to front beach along. then, again, I wouldn't drive her there in a car and drop her off by herself either. Maybe when she's 18, I'll let her to go the front beach area by herself. Please note that I grew up here... but am also an OCD safety mom, much to my daughter's dismay. With middle school kids, I'd stay at Wild Dunes and make front beach a side trip... I wouldn't let my kid roam at front beach.

BTW, Endo... I see as many locals blowing through the speed limit as visitors. And it's ALWAYS locals, who FLY down our 25mph side street at nascar speeds.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closer to Front Beach or Wild Dunes?

I see plenty of SC tags speeding also, but on my end of the island I see tons of out of state tags flying along Palm. You would think they were giving away free money on Sullivan's the way they seem in such a hurry to get over the bridge.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Closer to Front Beach or Wild Dunes?

Wild Dunes... We absolutely love it for the family spring break getaways!

9. Re: Closer to Front Beach or Wild Dunes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 23:16