We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IoP or Kiawah for handicap access

Which Isle of Palms hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
IoP or Kiawah for handicap access

Hello,

I also posted this in the Kiawah forum.

My husband and I usually go to Captiva Island, Florida for vacation, which we love. But this year we are visiting our friend who lives in Fayettevillle, NC in June, so we are looking into a place we can drive to from Fayetteville. Also this year we are taking our 8 year old son, which I'm very excited about because it would be his first beach vacation.

Now, I don't want to depress anyone but I have to mention that our son is severely disabled. He has quadriplegic cerebral palsy, so we push him in a wheelchair or carry him. He cannot tolerate cold water (in the pool or the ocean) and we would need a lot of paved areas to take him. Kiawah sounds great because of all the bike paths! How do the "paved areas" compare on Kiawah vs. Wild Dunes/IOP?

But, Wild Dunes/Isle of Palms is closer to more stores, restaurants, etc. it sounds like. Maybe at Wild Dunes we would have more access to heated pools?

How do the beaches on Wild Dunes and Kiawah differ? Does one have warmer water? Are we going to think it's freezing because we're used to Captiva? Plus is the sand on Kiawah more packed than at Wild Dunes, so it would be easier to take a beach wheelchair?

TIA for any advice!

Linda

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IoP or Kiawah for handicap access

Beaches (and water temp) will be similar, and both will have some soft sand that you'll have to navigate. The amount of soft sand varies even on the individual beaches... in some places it will be a long haul across soft sand, but in others, a very short one. Depending on time of your visit, water temps will be mid-70s to mid-80s.

Finding a heated pool in the summer might be tough, although pool temps can natually get pretty toasty in the summer.

I would definitely contact the properties.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IoP or Kiawah for handicap access

Beaches will be almost identical in the sense of water temp and type of sand. There is soft, dry sand and then wet, hard packed sand. At high tide, there will mostly be soft, dry sand. The later into the summer it is, the warmer the water will be, by July and August it is like a bath tub.

IOP is 10 min from Mt. Pleasant with tons of shops, restaurants, 2 movie theaters, etc. Also about 20-25 min from the downtown historic district. Kiawah is about 45 min from the historic district, but John's Island (adjacent to Kiawah) will have grocery stores, some restaurants, etc Not as extensive as Mt. Pleasant.

Have you looked into a possible rental of a beach wheel chair? They have really fat tires that work well in the sand.

Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IoP or Kiawah for handicap access

Thanks Endo and IOPNative! I appreciate your input.

4. Re: IoP or Kiawah for handicap access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 06:17