We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BBQ at our beach house.

new england
Level Contributor
266 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
BBQ at our beach house.

Am looking for someone with a smoker who will come out the the beach house and cook for a party of 20. Anyone know of someone? I've checked several BBQ places and they just deliver the food. We want something more authentic.

Thanks,

Contessa

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BBQ at our beach house.

JBs Smokeshack on Johns Island does catering, and they are about as authentic as you can get: http://www.jbssmokeshack.com/

For twenty people, I assume you want something more modest than a start-to-finish lowcountry barbecue, involving pork pulled from a whole hog. Smoking and barbecuing a hog is a slow, hot, smokey, and labor-intensive process, requiring maintenance of an on-going wood fire. Smaller cuts (ribs, chicken pieces, etc.) don't take so long, but involve the same smoke and consistent heat to achieve their flavor.

Having the meat prepared in a real smokehouse, and then delivered to your home, is the only way to go.

Even if this activity were allowed at beach houses on IoP (I feel certain it is not allowed, though I can't pull up the local fire regulations), your family members and neighbors would not want to be around the smoke and heat for the number of hours required.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BBQ at our beach house.

JBS requires 100 guests to do it on site. You do know that smoking is a lengthy, all day process, don't you?

We used to have a neighbor who was kind enough to smoke meats for us, whenever he was stoking up the smoker. Generally took 12-24 hours depending upon what he was doing.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BBQ at our beach house.

We live on IOP and smoke all the time. Also have a neighbor who does big block party with GIANT smoker. I've never heard of any regulations against it.

However, it is a LONG process. It would probably cost a small fortune to have it done at the house by someone else. Delivery would be the best way to go.

new england
Level Contributor
266 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BBQ at our beach house.

Wow! Lots of good information, here. Thanks. I'll get in touch w/JB's.....a friend who lives in CHS recommended them, too. And I'm guessing, having the food prepared properly and delivered is the way to go.

Thanks for all the speedy and informative responses.

My best,

Contessa

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: BBQ at our beach house.

Melvins in Mt P also does catering, They do true South Carolina Mustard Based BBQ (ie, the best kind of BBQ)

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BBQ at our beach house.

JBs smokes the meat, but doesn't add sauce (they say "The flavor is in the meat!"); however, they provide several kinds of signature barbecue sauce (SC mustard-based my personal favorite!), which you can apply yourself to suit your taste.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BBQ at our beach house.

You will get lots of opinions on sauce..... I find the mustard sauce to be revolting. :-) Altho, it is a staple in some parts of SC. I grew up eating a sauce based on vinegar and red pepper, pretty spicy. (also in SC) We also did the whole hog roasted over an open fire/low coals, using a mop to baste on the sauce while cooking ~ roughly a 24 hour process.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BBQ at our beach house.

Endo and I agree... vinegar-based over mustard. I can't even stand the way the mustard sauce looks... strange color.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BBQ at our beach house.

To me it is the same as pouring honey mustard salad dressing on a pork roast. Yuck. They use no sauce while cooking the meat, it is just roasted pork. OK, that's my 2 cents worth. :-D

new england
Level Contributor
266 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BBQ at our beach house.

And your suggestion is worth much more than 2cents. I LOATHE mustard! LOL! So, no argument here.

Thanks, for piping in.

My best,

Contessa