We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sure would like to bring our....

Which Isle of Palms hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sure would like to bring our....

paddle boards. But if we chose to stay in a condo, where do people keep such 'toys'? Do you know of any condos that just might be laid out with some outdoor space in which to keep them?

Is finding a home our only option do you think?

We'd love to be as close to the beach as possible, so if you have any suggestions where I can begin the search, I sure would appreciate it. Oh, we plan to be on IOP in late August.

Thanks so much - sure appreciate any input you can give me!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,691 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sure would like to bring our....

There are MANY rental homes on the island, ocean front and otherwise. The condos in Wild Dunes may have outdoor space for that sort of thing, but inquire in advance, as there are rules about such things.

www.vrbo.com may be a good place to start looking for homes or condos. There are also several good rental agencies.

Calverton, New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sure would like to bring our....

We just got back from IOP and stayed at the Sea Cabins. These are small one bedroom condos. Ours was on the end, and it was 3 flights up. We locked our bicycles to the underneath of the stairs. You might do the same with your boards perhaps. Can you safely leave them on the car rack?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,898 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sure would like to bring our....

Car rack not a good thing if you are planning on going into town or doing any sort of touring.

Boards and kayaks are stolen and re-sold all the time in this area...those who want to know how to do it and do it quickly.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,691 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sure would like to bring our....

Might be a better option to rent some while you are here. Might be able to try out some other styles than what you currently own.

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sure would like to bring our....

Thanks everyone!

After reading kiawahbeth's remarks, I'm rethinking if IOP is the place for us

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,691 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sure would like to bring our....

It will be the same on Kiawah regarding carrying around boards on a rack. In the greater Charleston area, a rack is not a safe place for boards. Especially when driving into the historic district or other places. I live on the Isle of Palms, it is a very safe area.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,898 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sure would like to bring our....

IOP is a fine place to go.

The problem is inherent to being in a coastal community, theft of boards and kayaks will happen in any parking lot anywhere in the area, I meant nothing specific to IOP.

Shoot, we had to be careful w/our boats and bikes when we lived in Central Ohio, doesn't matter where you are.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,624 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sure would like to bring our....

Unlocked bicycles go missing all the time, and are later found abandoned. A few years ago someone tried to rip a kayak off its berth ... which is attached to my home!

Some normally "OK" people do strange things when opportunity strikes, especially when they are on vacation. Pays to be careful no matter where you are.

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sure would like to bring our....

The kayaks would be strapped & locked on to the roof rack. This car will stay in the condo parking lot & we'll use our other one to get around. I sure do appreciate everyone's concern & thank you for bringing this up.

To IOP we go! Now I just have to decide if Seascape condos are in the 'erosion" part of the beach! Any ideas?

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sure would like to bring our....

No problem with erosion in that area of IOP.