We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best places to eat on Kiawah Island

Charlotte
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best places to eat on Kiawah Island

We are going 4th of July week and want to take entire family for dinner, with 4 and 6 year olds, to celebrate a birthday. We also want to choose a restaurant without children. Any suggestions on the Island or near there for both of these events.

Walpole...
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best places to eat on Kiawah Island

We have been to Kiawah 4x and will be coming our 5th time in April. We always frequent the Fat Hen and the Wild Olive which are both on John;s Island. Both are absolutely fantastic! The feedback on YELP just shows how good and popular they are. These restaurants may be more appropriate for adults....... Enjoy!

Charlotte
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best places to eat on Kiawah Island

thank you....

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best places to eat on Kiawah Island

On Kiawah, itself, your adult restaurant would be The Ocean Room at The Sanctuary...it's over the top, very special!

For your family thing you could do either The Cherrywood BBQ at Osprey Point or Tomasso, which is Italian w/pizzas, etc. It's at Turtle Point. Both are a little more casual than The Ocean Room or The Atlantic Room (at Ocean Course, very nice, but not over the top).

All The Resort restaurants are very good.

If you do want to go off island, there are plenty of other options, several which are mentioned above.

Red's at Bohicket is great for kids, you can sit outside, overlooking the marina and the kids are free to move around. Its pretty much bar food, but we do like to go occasionally (we were there just last weekend, just for the view at sunset).

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best places to eat on Kiawah Island

Hi,

I do not consider myself a Kiawah expert by any means. However, I have been going there once or twice a year for quite a few years. I'm not a big fan of any of the resort restaurants. Way over priced and generally hit or miss on service and quality. Also you should realize that the 4th of July week is the height of the high season at Kiawah. Massive crowds descending on the (limited) resort offerings. You should definitely consider the many (easily searchable) excellent off island places available including those mentioned above.

ALN

Charlotte
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best places to eat on Kiawah Island

Thank you. Have you tried Fat Hen or Wild Olive?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best places to eat on Kiawah Island

Fat Hen and Wild Olive (both owned by the same person) are both wonderful.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
572 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best places to eat on Kiawah Island

Just off of Kiawah is the Freshfields Village shopping center which has a few restaurants as well. The kids might enjoy lunch at the counter at Vincents an old timey pharmacy with a soda fountain counter. King Street Grill is a sports bar that will have some kid friendly food and La Tela is good for Pizza and italian. Love Wild Olive, great italian.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best places to eat on Kiawah Island

Thanks! We have cancelled our trip to Kiawah for that week. It will be too crowded. Thank you for all info for when we decide to go another time.

B

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best places to eat on Kiawah Island

Even at the peak of summer vacation (which is July 4) Kiawah is never really what you'd call crowded.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best places to eat on Kiawah Island

I agree that Kiawah is never "crowded". July 4th week is festive, and many families enjoy the events during that time, but I do not understand the assertion of "Massive crowds descending on the (limited) resort offerings." In thirty years of summers on Kiawah I have NEVER seen a massive crowd ... other than on the Ocean Course during the PGA Championship last year.

Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island
Recent Conversations