We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Vacation for teens

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Summer Vacation for teens

I am trying to find a happy medium for a summer vaction/two girls-16 and 19; Is Kiawah Island plenty to do for kids? They are not beach/water activities or hikers. Mom likes adventure/Dad likes to sit in the hotel. Help -we want a vacation somewhere. This area was suggested by a friend from Hilton Head.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Vacation for teens

My two daughters grew up on Kiawah and love the place, as do many other Kiawah kids (such as the adult son of my co-destination-expert "kiawahbeth". They learned to bike, kayak, catch shrimp and crabs, play tennis and golf on Kiawah. They made friends through Kiawah's recreational activities, at the beach, and at the pool. They also loved going into Charleston to shop, eat, and see the sights.

You know your own family. If your daughters do not enjoy beach, water, nature, and outdoor activities, Kiawah is probably is not a good choice. (But, I suspect that YOU would love it.)

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Vacation for teens

Here I am w/a 30 yr. old who grew up vacationing on Kiawah and now hates the fact that he can't visit as much as he would like.

Yes, outdoor activities are at the top of the list, maybe Kiawah would introduce your daughters to some new things to do in the outdoors. Biking and kayaking are at the top of the list, one of our other DE's from Seabrook took her daughters paddling w/us a few years ago, more or less kicking and screaming and now they have been back for more several times.

Kiawah is a magical place, but it is not for everyone, you do have to be in touch w/the outdoors and the beauty that surrounds, it's not a place to spend your time sitting in a room.

There are evening activities at Night Heron Park for teens, beginning at 9:00 each night, great opportunity to meet other teens.

The question is what do your daughters like to do???? You've told us what they don't like, but if we knew what they do like, we might be able to help more. No point in us trying to sell you on a place that just isn't for you!!!

3. Re: Summer Vacation for teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island
Recent Conversations