We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with pets

columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with pets

I have a small dog and wonder if I would be welcome to carry it around shopping in a little pouch carrier when we go out and about. Have seen others do so when on vacay at the OBX but wasn't sure if it would be welcome at Kiawah. Thanks for any info.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with pets

To tell you the truth, I have not seen anyone carrying their pooches in stores at Freshfields.

Most of the stores are tiny and packed full of goodies, probably not overly conducive to pets.

On the other hand, outside, on a leash, is not a problem.

Kiawah Island...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with pets

Agreed. While there are many dog visitors on Kiawah, we have not seen anyone carrying them in stores.

However, there are a few pet friendly dining options like Red's Icehouse at Bohicket Marina. Typically the furry-ones are only allowed in the outdoor seating areas.

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with pets

On my last visit I saw a person carrying a small dog in the grocery store at Freshfields and it was not an issue.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with pets

South Carolina has ordinances about animals in food establishments. It's your reponsibility to research the rules. I don't say the laws are defensible, but I do say if your dog is too cute to abide by the rules, you should check with Governor Nikkie Haley. She's a big Republican.

5. Re: Traveling with pets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island