We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1MagicCat--your opposition to May

So. Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
94 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
1MagicCat--your opposition to May

Hi, 1MagicCat....I read in one post that you think May is a horrible time to be in MB. Just wondering why. I have to be there in May (I will be down for my little brother's graduation from USC...GO TIGERS, for me)... Anyway, I've been going since I was a kid, and I don't remember it being that bad, traffic-wise, etc.. I'm staying in N. Myrtle.

Thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1MagicCat--your opposition to May

Harley and Atlantic Biker weeks are in May. It can get pretty loud and obnoxious at times. Traffic can be horrific, but not so bad in North Myrtle vs. Myrtle. I happen to have been in the Cherry Grove section for both biker weeks, and have not had any personal bad experiences during those times (Others have, as I'm sure this post will take legs shortly, as it's a hot topic w/ some locals). By the way, you may miss it altogether depending on the week you are down there.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1MagicCat--your opposition to May

USC=go Tigers ?? Which USC are we talking about?

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1MagicCat--your opposition to May

I presented one side of May for visitors and obviously my experience is different from others. I lived in Myrtle Beach last May between 38th and 48th Ave, I absolutely hated the last week of May, traffic was 30 times worse then any other time, even worse then 4th of July. I do not like crotch rockets racing between me on the bypass or 501, poppin wheelies, happened multiple times, I like to be able to pull into a mini-mart for gas, good luck that week, they park their bikes and watch the traffic go up and down the road in the parking lots, not to mention, majority of mini-marts close their bathrooms off that week and bring in port o potties. I worked in Conway, my husband in Little River, so we both experienced it although it you stay Far north into Cherry Grove, should not be an issue. WHY was the last time you were here Memorial Week? See I don't really mind Harley week as bad, they have a bit more manners and are not so overbearing and don't take over the entire Ocean Blvd. Last year in the paper the week after Atlantic Bike week, MANY MANY vacationers wrote into complain that they were NOT warned about the bike week. Now personally, we do enjoy seeing the women with their butts hiked up in the air with their thongs on, you will see them pee on the side of the road and you will see pretty much all of their personal parts. We find that entertaining, you have to be where they are, we happened to have a condo complex that rented to both bike weeks and mid-May harley week we had no trouble, can't say the same for the last week. BUT please come on, I was SIMPLY trying to be a nice neighbor and inform people.

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1MagicCat--your opposition to May

I was in North Myrtle Beach year before last during the Atlantic Beach bike week and had no problems; my brother and his family were there last year without any. I only saw bikers on 17 and the traffic was not as thick as on any day in July. They did not visit where I went and I did not visit where they frequented. The traffic gets thicker every year in general; even during the winter on 17.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1MagicCat--your opposition to May

Harley week, and we use to be participants before moving here, is more spread out, the bikers will ride up and down the entire strand during the day, come evening they usually light somewhere for evening festivities and not cruise all night long. Atlantic Beach Bike Week is more contained, mainly on Ocean Blvd in MB and Atlantic Beach in North MB, your traffic will be between those 2 areas and flashing signs will be posted on 17 and bypass telling you about the traffic, they do cruise well into the early morning hours. Many of them do not start to ride until the evening. If you are further north from Atlantic Beach or south in Surfside, Garden City, you should not feel the effects from the last bike week. Its just a different atmosphere in May from the other 11 months, it is something to be aware of, particuarly if you are trying to travel during the same days they are traveling. I work on HWY 501 and the Atlantic Beach Bike Week by Wednesday the traffic is lined up for several miles, bumper to bumper, bike to bike and trailer to trailer.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1MagicCat--your opposition to May

I think you can say that about both bike weeks (the bumper to bumper traffic on 501)...and I'm sure if we had some locals on this site that lived in the Murrells Inlet area they would have totally different feeling about Harley Week (2 weeks!) that they have to endure.....I live in the Avenues area (just of 63rd N) for the last 13 years..and to be honest, I really dont have a probelm with either of the events....as another poster stated you just learn when and where to go or not go during that time. As for Harleys not riding late into the night...I have to totally disagree with you on that one! I think most cut thru on our road (63rd or 62nd) as they are getting over to the beach front hotels after partying down at Suck, Bang and Blow! Yikes!

:)

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1MagicCat--your opposition to May

TONYMIK Rainbowtraveler is more than likely takling about The University of South Carolina because USC and Clemson are the big rilvaries in SC.

8. Re: 1MagicCat--your opposition to May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach