We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Get There

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
How to Get There

Hi all, We are planning a getaway to Myrtle Beach in May and we are wondering what the best air route might be, thinknig of flying into Charleston or would it be best to fly into somewhere else? We are coming from Vancouver, BC. Also, the weather, are we right in thinknig around 75 degrees? Thanks much, Jan

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: How to Get There

If you want to visit Charleston and explore some of the SC coastline...your idea is a good one. If you want to fly directly to Myrtle Beach....Charlotte, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NY, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta all have direct frights with different airlines. 83 is the average high for May....a little cooler in early May and a little warmer in late May.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: How to Get There

Wow...are you sure those are all direct flights? When I booked a month ago there were NO direct flights from anybody!

I know MB Direct & Spirit have begun service but did not know they were direct flights (and are they daily?).

Saxonburg, PA
Level Contributor
755 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: How to Get There

All of the flights with Myrtle Beachr Direct are exactly that, Direct Flights with no stops and mostly only $99 each way. I booked a flight for my parents in July. They are flying on Thursdays and Fridays and opening up Sat and Sun sometime soon.

US Air also offers some direct flights.

Ron

Saxonburg, PA

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: How to Get There

That really is great news...probably cheaper than gas for many visitors.

(PS: As of last month, all US Air flights to MB were via their Charlotte NC hub.)

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
5. Re: How to Get There

You don't say what part of May, just a reminder month of May finds 2 different Bike Weeks which causes some significant traffic headaches as well as keeping our local restaurants quite busy. Charleston is about 2 -3 hours from Myrtle Beach depending on where you are going, I would recommend staying further south if you fly into Charleston. You can fly into Wilmington, in that case about hour and half into North Myrlte Beach, also nice area to stay. End of May will probably quite toasty 80+. Although evenings can be coolish.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: How to Get There

We just flew nonstop from Boston to Myrtle Beach. Flights go daily, leaving Boston at 10:05 am and arriving MB at 12:25 pm. Outbound flights leave Myrtle at 1:22 and arrive Boston 3:32 pm.

Charleston is a 2 hour drive from Myrtle Beach. You could fly into Charleston, rent a car, then drive to Myrtle Beach. It is a very easy commute on Rte. 17.

It all depends upon what you want to do. If you want to stay in Myrtle Beach, then there are lots of beaches, shopping centers, etc. There are also several theatres where you can enjoy a Broadway style show. Of course, there is lots of golfing if you enjoy that.

http://www.myrtlebeachinsidersguide.com/

http://www.myrtlebeach.com/

Above are a couple of websites w/ tourist info on them.

Charleston is one of my favorites places to visit. There is lots to see and do there. They have several plantations that you can tour, lots of wonderful restaurants, museums, etc. It is a very cultural and historical city as compared to Myrtle Beach. I have lots of info on Charleston also.

So it just depends upon what you are looking to see and do. If you are flying from BC, then you may want to check out airlines flying directly into Charleston, rent a car and drive north to Myrtle Beach.

Good luck.

May

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: How to Get There

P.S. Here's a link on Bikers' Week, which is 5/11 to 5/20! You may want to plan your visit around these dates!

bikersmag.com/html/myrtle_beach_bike_week.ht…

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: How to Get There

Thanks very much to all for the really useful information. It looks as if we will either fly into Charleston or directly into MB, and thanks also for the web sites and bike week info. We hope to visit the offshore islands and visit a plantation or so while we are there and just generally immerse ourselves in the history of the area. We are in MB because that is where the time share is.again my thanks.

9. Re: How to Get There

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 18:17