We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hole in the wall seafood dive?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hole in the wall seafood dive?

Looking for a cheap, DELICIOUS local restaurant for some seafood - any suggestions?

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hole in the wall seafood dive?

ellas in calabash,nc good cheap seafood

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hole in the wall seafood dive?

I don't know if you would classify it as a "dive," but we love Duffy Street Seafood Shack in North Myrtle:

http://www.duffystreetseafoodshack.com/

If you are in the south, then try the Sundown club on Surfside Drive (across from Glens Bay parkway). Excellent food!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hole in the wall seafood dive?

Duffy's (2 locations in NMB) has great seafood (blackened sandwiches, entrees, raw bar), peanuts on the table (peanut shells on the floor). Beer is always cold. Waitresses could be a little more friendly, but food is always good. I saw a post yesterday about Mrs. Fish...I think the locals are keeping 'mum' about this place for the most part ; )

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hole in the wall seafood dive?

Ha! Yea, Gator...some of the places we have to have to ourselves, otherwise we'd be waiting in line to eat too! Only kidding....Mrs. Fish is a great place...everything served on styro plates with plastic forks....food is wonderful and large protions. They are located just off Kings maybe 2 blocks. Turn left at the light on 9th Ave N (by old pavillon parking garage)at next light (Oak) turn right again....Mrs Fish 1 block up on left. Real small place....great coffee shop next door with live music.

Another place would be in Little River --- Crab Catchers. I love their fish fry....most of their items are fried, but its really good. And the view along the waterway is awesome.

Enjoy!

:)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hole in the wall seafood dive?

We've enjoyed Crab Catchers also. Personally, I don't care for their fried seafood, but if you go during 'blue crab' season, their steamed blue crabs are great. Raw oysters are about the best I've had outside of Appalachacola, and their mussels are good also. If you are looking for a nice grilled or blackened piece of fish, go somewhere else. The setting is really nice by the shrimp boats and intracoastal, but have the mindset you could be waiting for a table. Luckily, there is an indoor and outdoor bar to 'ease the pain'.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hole in the wall seafood dive?

Crab Catchers is good, bring bug spray if sitting outside. Good Grouper Sandwich. But for good decent priced seafood, you really can't be going to Calabash, try Ella's, Becks, Seafood Hut, Dockside.

Michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hole in the wall seafood dive?

Went to Ella's last night based on Hart1's recommendation and it was excellent!

We had a non seeafood eater in our group so he had the steak, which was good. Salad bar had lots of nice choices on it. We were obviously there for the seafood, and it was fresh, hot, and really good.

Added benefit, from North MB getting to Calabash is much quicker than anywhere in MB or any of the chain places.

Thanks for the rec!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hole in the wall seafood dive?

Whew! So glad to hear you liked it, as soon as you recommend somewhere, never fails, the person goes and has bad experience. Like I had been recommending River City as everyone else did, and my experience was horrible on Wed, with my family visiting. They looked at me, like you recommend this place?! I have not had a bad meal in Calabash, had some bad ones in MB, but never disappointed crossing over the state line for some good food. OH and Ellas has a good sauteed shrimp plate as well.

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hole in the wall seafood dive?

I see Duffy's listed often by folks and while its fine, for me right down the road on Main street in Ocean Drive is Hoskins and you simply cannot do better.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hole in the wall seafood dive?

Might have to try Hoskin's for dinner some time. Walked to Main Street from Cherry Grove last year in the morning. Went window shopping and decided what the heck and ate breakfast at Hoskin's. I was very good. Very friendly staff.