We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding traffic coming to and leaving Myrtle Beach

Galesburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Avoiding traffic coming to and leaving Myrtle Beach

We are coming to M.B. on Monday, October 8 for 10 days and I was trying to think of a route in and out of M.B. to avoid the heavy traffic on 501. Since we are staying at 1700 N Ocean Blvd., would it be a good idea to take rt. 22, from 501 North west of Conway, around to 17 and south to 21st ave to Ocean Blvd? It seems like a round-about way but, in the long run, might save time. We will be leaving M.B. on Thursday, October 18th. Any comments????

Gretna, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding traffic coming to and leaving Myrtle Beach

Yes, take the 22 exit, it may be a few more miles, but they go by fast at the 65 mph speed limit and no stoplights, not to mention no traffic jams. It saves time versus 501.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding traffic coming to and leaving Myrtle Beach

I agree, 22 may be a hair longer and put you closer to North MB, but it is a nice highway with a 65mph speed limit and no traffic. Take it coming and going.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding traffic coming to and leaving Myrtle Beach

Traffic in October shouldn't be half as bad as peak summer months.

If you do go with the Rt 22 route, run it into Rt 31 south. You hit it right before Rt 17. Run south on Rt 31 a few miles to Grissom Parkway. Run it into MB. Runs you down the middle of town between business and by-pass 17.

Broadway at the Beach starts at 29th Ave. Next stoplight at far end of Broadway is 21st Ave. Turn left.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding traffic coming to and leaving Myrtle Beach

Traffic will not be that bad in October, but I ALWAYS take Hwy 22 to Hwy 31 to Grissom or Bypass, head south on Grissom to 21st Ave N, turn left and head to Ocean Blvd. You will make so much better time with no traffic lights, then driving thru Conway.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding traffic coming to and leaving Myrtle Beach

Wanted to say that you guys had scared me about arriving at Myrtle Beach on a Saturday afternoon in mid-June. I thought it would be a mad house ... but it wasn't bad at all. Arrived at Condolux Rental office at 4:30, no lines, and the traffic on the street was fine, not at all what I'd call congested.

???????????? Maybe we all have very different ideas of "heavy traffic?"

6. Re: Avoiding traffic coming to and leaving Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach