We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I need a rental car?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
177 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Will I need a rental car?

Hi Guys,

Boyfriend and I are both in our 20's and got a great deal with Spirit for January 17-20th to fly down to MB for $9 each way! We couldn't pass it up.

We are staying at the Breakers Paradise Towers and are trying to decide whether we should rent a car (we were looking at U-Save) because of the savings.

If we plan on going to Broadway at the Beach (which I've read is within walking distance) would it be silly for us to have a rental car? We may want to visit the outlets...so that's why I am thinking it may be useful. Or to catch some miniature golf.

Please help!

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I need a rental car?

YES! Rent a car! Myrtle Beach is so spread out that you would be very limited without a car.Broadway at the beach is cool and all but I wouldn't want to hang out there for 3 days.

Calabash, North...
Level Contributor
330 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I need a rental car?

We flew down to Florida a couple of years ago. We "named our own price" for our car rental and got a new Impala for $16 per day! Try it.

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
851 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I need a rental car?

You really need a car to get around here to really enjoy everything. There are some restaurants, etc. that you can easily walk to from the Breakers but the outlets are no where withing walking distance. And Broadway at the Beach is a good 1 to 2 mile hike plus more walking around when you get there.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I need a rental car?

Forget about the car rental, tell us how you got $9 airfare! For that price I'd fly down there just to have a nice seafood dinner.

Yes, rent a car. There's a very good bus system in Myrtle Beach but that may end up costing you just as much as renting.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I need a rental car?

The bus system isn't that great. About to fold. Cutting routes left and right. Several articles in Sun News. Locals who live in outlying areas are having trouble getting to work.

Yes...rent a car.

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I need a rental car?

If you have never been to MB before then I think you should get a car. MB is very spread out and you might enjoy riding down to Surfside Beach or Garden City Beach while you are there.

Pawleys Island...
Level Contributor
164 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will I need a rental car?

You really need to rent a car, Myrtle Beach has a lot of things to see and do besides broadway.

8. Re: Will I need a rental car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach