We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North or South Myrtle Beach is the question?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Whitehall, PA
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
North or South Myrtle Beach is the question?

Hi - This is our first trip to Myrtle Beach from PA. We (2 adults 2 kids ages 8 and 10) are planning a trip in late August. Just wondering which area I should be looking at to book a room. The north or south? THe hotel that I like is around 1200 S Ocean Blvd. and just wondering how this location is. Plus could you hear any noise from the airport there? Any tips/ suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North or South Myrtle Beach is the question?

There is no South Myrtle Beach. There is a North Myrtle Beach which is a separate city and then there is the city of Myrtle Beach. Of course Myrtle Beach does have a South and a North side like any city. I personally think that the area near 12th Ave South (1200 S Ocean Blvd) is a bad area, old and a bit on the dumpy side. Not much airport noise. If I had to come and vacation here I would stay further North like 30th Ave N(3000 N Ocean Blvd) or further North (higher numbers)

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North or South Myrtle Beach is the question?

I like the area in MB on North Ocean Boulevard. North Myrtle has a North and South Ocean Blvd. as well as MB (2 separate cities) that run together. I never heard any noise from the airport while in the hotel, however when we stayed at Compass cove we could hear the planes leaving from the airport while sitting on the beach. But it wasn't super loud.

Look into:

-Paradise Towers at the Breakers

-Roxanne Towers

-Caribbean Resort

-Island Vista

-Dunes Village

-Kingston Plantation

-Long Bay Resort

-Compass Cove (one of the few hotels on South Ocean Blvd in MB that I would recommend)

-Camelot Resort

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North or South Myrtle Beach is the question?

Of course all opinions are personal choice. When we began looking for a "summer place" we stayed in a friends condo between Myrtle Beach and Surfside (what some might call South Myrtle Beach). After several trips and a lot of looking we decided on that area and after 10 years and approx. 50 trips, we still like the "south side" best. We are three miles south of the airport and have never heard a plane except those pulling advertising banners up and down the beach.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,256 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North or South Myrtle Beach is the question?

I have heard that the Surfside area is very nice...this is the southern end of Myrtle Beach...well, very south actually. But we have always stayed in the northern end of Myrtle Beach. (not to be confused with NORTH Myrtle Beach, which is nice too)

The northern end is great....very convienent to everything...a little quieter..and cleaner. (from 55th Ave up to 76th Ave)

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North or South Myrtle Beach is the question?

The South end was definitely a nicer place 10 years ago so I can understand someones preference from back then. But today they have built so many nice resorts on the north end of Myrtle Beach that it makes a perfect spot since it is so centrally located to all the attractions. If you stay near Surfside you will be 20 minutes or more from Broadway at the Beach in summertime traffic and 35 minutes to Barefoot Landing.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North or South Myrtle Beach is the question?

Wouldn't worry to much about drive times to different attractions. Doesn't matter all that much where you stay. You're going to spend some time in car. In traffic. 15 minutes this trip. 30 minutes the next. Just part of being at MB in summer.

We usually stay in Cherry Grove section of NMB. About as far from attractions as you can get. Short hop out to Rt 31 can be middle of MB less than 30 minutes if rushed.

Usually run Rt 17 just for heck of it. We don't see it as big hassle. Looking at sights and such. Stop for ice cream. All part of being on vacation.

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
860 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North or South Myrtle Beach is the question?

1200 S. Ocean Blvd...are you talking about the Sea Mist? If so I've never personally stayed there but have heard negative things about it. I have stayed at Coral Beach which is a couple of hotels north of that address and liked it. I don't remember being bothered by aircraft. While there's nothing wrong with this South Ocean Blvd area or even the downtown area, neither one is my favorite.

I've been going to Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle beach since the early 1970's...I have stayed in pretty much every different area there is...north, south, downtown, NMB, Surfside...preference really depends on what your needs are and it's different for everybody. I used to prefer North Myrtle but am now loving the Surfside area.

New Castle
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: North or South Myrtle Beach is the question?

I personally like the south end of myrtle beach. We stay at the Holiday sands south and really like it very much. There rates are fairly cheap and haven't had any problems. The south end seems to be less crowded also.

Clint

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North or South Myrtle Beach is the question?

I'd suggest the Crescent and Ocean Drive sections of North Myrtle Beach followed by Windy Hill and Cherry Grove.

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North or South Myrtle Beach is the question?

From Surfside Beach to Broadway at the Beach would be about 15-16 minutes, Coastal Grande Mall about 13-14 and you'd be able to get to the new Hard Rock Park quicker than you could in most of Myrtle Beach! Legends in Concert is in Surfside Beach as is Wild Water and Wheels and it's nearer Murrells Inlet seafood....just saying.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach