We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Land of No Chair Hogs?

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Land of No Chair Hogs?

Okay, so I know some of you will think this is really dumb, but I've only been to MB once and I am considering returning, but something really turned me off when I was there and I'd love some feedback.

We stayed at the Breakers a few years ago. It was a great hotel, just beautiful, in spite of being blocked at check in by the time share pushing devils.

Every day we tried to go down to the pool/beach and have some fun. And every day you could NEVER get a chair, because it was like everyone staying there went down at breakfast and "reserved" their chairs by putting towels, whatever, on them. I don't have a problem with that...and I'd do it to, but when hours, and I mean HOURS went by and the chair had clearly never been used...well, that's downright rude. The Breakers at that time had a "no chair reserving" sign up but no one paid any attention to it and no one seemed to patrol this. On one day in particular, I did get a chair and there were several nearby that had been "reserved" so my son could not get one near me. I was at my chair for 4 hours and no one ever came to those chairs, and based on what I saw no one had been there prior to my arrival, either.

Are there any "beach etiquette" rules when it's okay to just dump the stuff and take the chairs from these rude folks???

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Land of No Chair Hogs?

When we stayed at the Beach Colony, the same thing happened. Usually someone would be getting up that you could get a chair, but I know what you mean. I would get up at 8am and go put my towels down for two chairs. But, the one thing I did do was to give them up if we went down to the beach or we would be gone for a long period of time. It is a pain and I know how you feel.

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Land of No Chair Hogs?

Thanks Pantherfan! Glad to hear I'm not alone.

And what you described...I don't think that's a bit rude :)

What I was seeing was "hey, let's go reserve us some chairs at 8am then not show up until noon"!!

Crazy rude.

There was one staff member occasionally walking around, and he told me "hey, if they aren't there, the chairs are free for the taking". But I couldn't bring myself to do that. Maybe on this next trip I'll have more nerve!

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Land of No Chair Hogs?

That is what I always suggest to the guests. If the person is not in the pool area then they have no right to the chairs. As hotel employees there is no way that we can patrol these things because you have no idea how some people are, we would get so much complaining if we actually moved peoples things. One morning at my hotel the pool staff was cleaning all the chairs with a sprayer at 6:30 am and there were some towels on chairs at the pool so they assumed they were left from the night before and took them to lost and found. About noon the people came to the front desk complaining about their towels. We gave them to the gentleman and he began screaming when he found out that it was hotel staff which had moved his things. We tried to explain that the pool area didn't even open until 9 am so his things should not have been there but his colorful language said it all. No we are not going to move the things but please feel free to do it yourself, they are the ones who were rude to reserve the chairs not you for actually sitting in them.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Land of No Chair Hogs?

When did the Breakers change over to being a timeshare hotel?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Land of No Chair Hogs?

We stayed at the Dayton House one year & they have a beautiful o/f lawn with what SHOULD be plenty of chairs, tables, etc.

My husband & I sat on the balcony every morning & watched the 6 - 7 a.m. parade of selfish people bustle down to reserve multiple chairs for large families. Many were still in their robes & obviously had no intention of using those chairs for several hours.

My family & I disagree on how to deal with those people. They think it's more rude for me to move someone's stuff. I say the selfish people deserve to have their crap dumped. I would never touch anyone's things who are really using chairs & just going back & forth.

Glad to hear someone else thinks it's unacceptable.

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Land of No Chair Hogs?

Thanks for the comments...I see your point from the staff's point of view. My father dealt with "the public" for most of his life and I have to hand it to anyone that has to work in any areas of service.

As far as the timeshare thing, I don't believe the Breakers was a time share hotel when we stayed there, but they had some kind of booth at the front when we were trying to get through the door and a very aggressive woman working there insisting that I take a tour and get free something-or-other. To me, that's timeshare thing.

But in trying to be objective and fair, I should say that I am especially turned off by aggressive sales people in any area and normally walk out of a store if I encounter pushy sales people.

New York
Level Contributor
500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Land of No Chair Hogs?

Def. understand your view of the timeshare person at The Breakers. They've actually cut that down A LOT. The front desk will give you a welcome packet to see them but most ppl just ignore it now. Its the persons job. We can't dis-credit him for doing what he's paid to do ya know? But, the ones I encountered the last few times I was there just didn't bother you unless you approached them. And i've stayed there I believe in March for a weekend getaway from home. LOL only 45 mins away but still. And w/ the beach towels on the chairs.. just move them. They can't say anything because it clearly says do not reserve chairs. And if they have a problem the front desk is very helpful.

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
947 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Land of No Chair Hogs?

I think it should be standard policy that chairs are not to be reserved and any unoccupied towels be removed. If you aren't actually sitting in the chair or are nowhere around it...then you have no business having your towel on there holding a chair for you when there are other people who are actually there and need a chair now. This is one of the reasons we don't really do the pool..too aggravating to get a chair.

9. Re: Land of No Chair Hogs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 14:21
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach