We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a few questions...

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
a few questions...

I'm sure this has been discussed several times, but for some reason the site won't let me search today.

My family and I will be arriving in MB in 2 weeks and will be staying at Ocean Reef. For those of you who have stayed in this area, do they patrol the beach "looking for" beer? My husband wants to take a few cans of beer down to the beach during the day (in a coozie of course) and I was just curious how strict they are in that area.

Also does this resort have umbrellas and chairs to rent or would it be cheaper to purchase one and bring it with us?

Instead of umbrellas, does the beach allow kiddie pop up tents?

thanks so much!

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a few questions...

While technically illegal to possess alcoholic beverages on the beach, I may know someone who has done this in the past...... (no names, please). Instead of a coozie, this "person" will bring suds down in a cooler, then pour into a plastic, solid colored cup. 16 oz red cups are the preferred style....

Not sure about the Ocean Reef, but the resorts I frequent do not rent chairs/umbrellas. The lifeguards do setup rental chairs/umbrellas at the high tide mark, but are pricey at 20/day I believe. Much cheaper to bring your own or buy at the hundreds of beach stores in the area. You can setup umbrellas/pop-up tents etc, as long as they are behind the rental units (so as not to impede the guard's view of the water).

Have fun !

Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: a few questions...

We usually stay at the Ocean Reef every year.

They do rent chairs and umbrellas, I think they are also $20.00 per day. It's much cheaper to buy your own. Just know that you can not put an umbrella in front of the ones the lifeguard has set up.

The lifeguard at the Ocean Reef pretty much stays around the area during normal business hours. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a can of beer on the beach, but I do see alot of people with drinks in plastic cups. And you can also order daquaries and such at the tiki bar to drink on the beach.

I really don't see why they would have a problem with a kiddie pop up tent, as long as you set it up behind the lifeguard chairs and umbrellas.

HTH!

Tanya

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
861 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a few questions...

Like I've said before...is it a Diet Pepsi or is it a Coors Light?...who can really tell if it's in a can coozie. The lifeguards don't go around looking for it. I'd say just keep it discreet.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
780 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a few questions...

Keep it low key and you will not have an issue. Its the people who get flat out drunk, make a lot of noise, and play beach volleyball one handed with a bottle of beer in the other.

It is cheaper to buy an couple of chairs and an umbrella than rent one. All umbrellas and tents have to be behind the lifeguards chair and his row of umbrellas/chairs that he rents out.

5. Re: a few questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 04:18