We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries and Supplies

US
Level Contributor
116 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries and Supplies

So what supermarket in the Myrtle Beach area is best for groceries?

want to be able to pick up organic - pesiticide free fruits for our stay

Are there any decent health food stores in a reasonable driving distance from the beach.

Best place to buy 10 days worth of condo and beach supplies?

Packing lite to fly , so prefer to buy my consumables down there !!!

Thanks

also its been awhile - - do Myrtle Beach supermarkets carry wine?

Are the wines OK or can you suggest a decent wine purveyor as well.....

we love to snack on different types of fun cheeses! any suggestions on best places for cheese outside the supermarket selections?

Yes we will have a car while there and if it helps to point me in the right direction - - staying at the Anderson Ocean Club

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries and Supplies

Supermarkets have a surprisingly decent selection of wines. Also, there are discount beverage stores up & down the main highway that sell a huge variety of wines. One that isn't far from where you are staying is Green's Discount Beverage. Don't let the fact that discount is included in the name put you off.

Beach stores are also up & down the highway selling cheap beach chairs, etc.

Hate to say it, but Wal-Mart is the best bet for condo supplies. Almost any store that you wander into is set up for us tourists to find what we need including CVS, etc.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries and Supplies

If you're looking for organic Walmart might not be your best bet LOL. I have seen quite a few organic foods at Food Lion at 62nd Ave N and 17(Kingshighway)which would only be a few miles away from you. Their wine selection is ok, but you would be better off at Greene's as the pp suggested.

There is probably a health food store somewhere, it's just not really prevalent here, this is the South we will deep fry anything :D

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries and Supplies

Yes, I guess I should clarify...I wasn't suggesting Wal-Mart for the organic question, but for the condo & beach supplies.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
705 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries and Supplies

The super Walmart is your best bet for groceries.

New York
Level Contributor
500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries and Supplies

Coming from a locals stand-point Bi-Lo off of 38th ave N. in myrtle beach has good prices and has a whole aisle dedicated just to organic foods and a good wine selection. Also, Greens is a good place to get alchol. Decent prices and only about 5-10 minutes away from Anderson Ocean Club. Any beach store will have beach chairs that you could get for cheap ( cheaper than a $25. a day charge that the lifeguards charge). Happy hunting.

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
937 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries and Supplies

For organic and a selection of better foods you might want to try the new Piggly Wiggly store located at the Market Common, which is a new upscale urban village type development. I haven't been there yet but it's supposedly a really nice, trendy type grocery store.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries and Supplies

I would also say that Wal-mart is the best place for supplies, but I would add that you should try to avoid going there on Saturday afternoon/evening if you can. everyone is arriving at this time and the store is a nightmare....

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries and Supplies

No discussion of the Piggly Wiggly?

I mean doesn't the name say it all?

(just a lil attempted joke there)

I will say if you want to see some history, and take a step back in time, just take a look around. If you are a Yankee at least you can say, you set foot in one of the stores.

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
937 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries and Supplies

You don't see too many Piggly Wiggly's around the south anymore like. But this one in MB is brand spanking new and minty fresh. Here's a tour of the store....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXG4dlnHiEE

US
Level Contributor
116 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries and Supplies

HA HA

Piggly Wiggly

\

the first time I ever went into one was when we went to Tenn to visit my dads fmaily

I was about 4-5 and it made a lasting impression on me

Everytime we go to Tenn - thats one of my first stops for years

I am looking forward to stopping in this new Piggly Wiggly !!!

THANKS