We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike Weeks in May -- Canceled...

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Myrtle Beach
1 post
Save Topic
Bike Weeks in May -- Canceled...

Go to www.myrtlebeachonline.com and check out all the news about the cancellation of the Bike Weeks during the month of May. Now, for the first time in decades, it will be the best month to come to the beach.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike Weeks in May -- Canceled...

That will thrill most visitors, shop owners and locals, but I cannot find the article.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike Weeks in May -- Canceled...

Certainly NOT cancelled yet and they want to add a $12/$100,000 property value tax so locals/homeowners can pay to CANCEL the bike weeks, now that is a bit ridiculous.

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
882 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike Weeks in May -- Canceled...

mth1974 where are you getting this info from?...I don't see anything about this.

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
381 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike Weeks in May -- Canceled...

mth1974, I can't find your referenced article either. If this is indeed true, it will certainly make a lot of people very happy -- both locals and visitors alike. But what's this you are saying, hart1, about adding extra property taxes to pay for cancelling these Bike Weeks? How absurd! Whose big idea was that? If the local businesses are worried about the potential loss of revenue by cancelling both of these Bike Weeks, I really don't think that they have a thing to worry about, because there are an awful lot of people (myself included) who purposely avoided coming to Myrtle Beach during the month of May just to avoid Bike Weeks. So what they will lose from the bikers, they will definitely make back from the everyday vacationer.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike Weeks in May -- Canceled...

The local city council wants $1 million to use toward "cancelling" the bike weeks. NOW why they need a million dollars is puzzeling to me and what they will use it for but yes they want to add additional taxes to our property bill. This whole week has had a couple of articles about city council wanting to cancel and the people who put on bike weeks. 2 sides to every story. As a local I am perfectly fine with harley week, use to be a participant. The other bike "week" is too much for me. But you can't have one with the other and can't cancel one without the other.

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
381 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike Weeks in May -- Canceled...

So you say that the local city council wants $1 million in order to cancel both Bike Weeks? Probably for the potential litigation that will ensue when they actually go forward with the cancellations. Still sounds crazy to me. I do agree with you though that there isn't any way to cancel one event, and not the other. Still, I wonder what other cities have done in order to stop these types of activities. For the good of the City of Myrtle Beach, and the local residents and visitors alike, I sincerely hope that your local government is successful in their efforts to cancel both Bike Weeks. However, certainly not at the expense of the local property owners.

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
882 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bike Weeks in May -- Canceled...

The bike weeks are certainly a nuisance but I don't see any way to legally cancel them unless you completely outlaw motorcycles or public gatherings. The bikers will still come unofficially.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bike Weeks in May -- Canceled...

As Hart said, these rallies are a long, long way from being canceled. First of all, MB does not sponsor either rally, so they cannot officially cancel them. The second rally is sponsored by the town of Atlantic Beach, which has already said it has no intention of canceling next year's rally.

The month of June is spent every year listening to residents complain about the rallies, and in many cases, the complaints are justified. This year, the voices have grown louder because a college student was shot and killed during one of the rallies, although the tragedy was not directly related to any rally event or even to bikers attending the rally.

If they should decide to proceed, about all MB can do is make the area unattractive to bikers - possibly through restrictive noise ordnances, local helmet laws, no permits for vendors, etc.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
506 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bike Weeks in May -- Canceled...

My understanding is that a big chunk of money will be used to create and institute an advertising campaign to try and lure families back to the beaches during these weeks. From the articles I have read, that is how other beaches have driven away other bike events and spring breakers. I would be more than willing to pay higher taxes if it will help take back the month of May. I take my beach house off the rental market for both bike weeks and the entire month of May is a total loss in that we don't want to use it then either.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bike Weeks in May -- Canceled...

Seems if all hotels, resorts, condos restricted motorcycles, trailers, boats, etc..in parking lots and garages, it would put an end to it. Whatever is decided locally, be prepared to deal w/ the NAACP.