We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Behavior

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Topic
Bad Behavior

I understand that when you are on vacation some people forget all manners, civility and common sense. Its a constant battle around our pool areas with children misbehaving and parents allowing them to run wild. Then if they get hurt, they want to blame the resort. So far this summer, the behavior of children is almost unbelieveable. So this morning our property management company goes to clean the pool, there is what appears to be a large bucket of sea shells poured in the pool. Those shells could have potentially burned the motor up on the pump. Right now the pool is closed and will be closed at least part of the day while they clean the mess out of the pool, etc. On any given morning, you can find items thrown from the balconies in the pool and it isn't something that was accidently blown in the pool. Planters, chairs, tables, etc. We have signs up by the hot tubs, no one under 12 allowed, that is to keep the hot tubs from becoming kiddie day care and not allowing adults to use the hot tub, parents get quite angry with us when we tell their children to follow the rules Kids get on elevators and they like to jump right when the elevator is stopping, as I am sure we all have, well that can cause the elevator to hang up and we have to get the little darlings out of the elevators.

Its a shame to have such a nice property as we do and to constantly to have to clean up messes, pick up trash, erase the graffitti, replace signs and placards in halls and elevators that get torn down weekly.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad Behavior

The little darlings also think it's cute to get on the elevator, push every button & giggle when it stops at every floor of. I've even seen the precious ones do it in front of parents who are equally entertained.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad Behavior

I'm with you on this rant, Hart. Sometimes I feel alone when I keep my kids in-check. Gotta raise'em right.

Hart, have you ever actually revealed where you work? Do you service a number of rentals?

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad Behavior

I have said where I work, but I am on here to give the best advice I can and not promote my location only. Now I am fond of where I work, which is onsite in Crescent Beach, but I realize there are so many nice places in MB and NMB, not everyone likes the same things or has the same needs. I am more then happy to talk by private message with anyone about my specific resort. I actually work for a rental company and just happen to be onsite at one specific location.

I give my advice and perspective on things to try to help everyone have a nice vacation. Unfortunately, car break-ins are common up and down the Grand Strand, doesn't matter if you are in a 1 star resort or 5 star resort. It happens. I can't tell you the number of people I see who walk off from their personal belongings and don't think a thing about leaving their things with no one watching. DON'T DO IT! Whether you are on the beach, at the pool, at the store or eating in a restaurant. Watch your things at all times. It only takes one minute, one slip up, forget one time, and your entire vacation could be ruined.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad Behavior

I understand...

Hart met my children last summer.. :))

my gripe is parents who leave their children alone

at the pool with no guardians..

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad Behavior

Couldn't agree with you more Hart.

I own an ice cream shop in NY state. Just last week I had to tell an 11 year old to stop relieving himself on our fence. His parents were sitting right there watching him.

I'm not one to yell at kids but I made an exception that time and then told his parents their son's behavior was disgusting.

A good parent would have had the child apologize. They didn't care one bit.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad Behavior

Mom, your children were incredibly well-mannered, shame I can't say that about others.

Your mis-behaving children make it unbearable for everyone, so then they come to the office to complain to us. PLEASE we ask of you, keep track of your children, #1 for their safety and for others to enjoy themselves and not deal with your "brats". I have children, I understand.

WV
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad Behavior

So true...Alot of parents are too busy with their "own enjoyment and life" that they don't want to take the time to "discipline" their children. They want to be their buddies instead of parents and role models. Just my two cents on the subject.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad Behavior

Amen to that post Hart. It's not just kids leaving trash everywhere. I have seen plenty of parents do some of the same things. The little angels had to learn it somewhere right. The precious babies are not(hopefully) the ones smoking in non-smoking rooms and burning holes in the blankets, carpets, etc. Or sneaking their pets in to hotels they know are not pet friendly. Checking out of the room and then going back to the room to hang out until they are discovered by housekeeping. Leaving the rooms so trashed that it takes the poor housekeepers hours to clean.

And my single biggest pet peeve of all, arriving at 8 am when check-in time is at 3 or 4 and screaming at front desk clerks when their rooms are not ready because they requested an early check-in. The early arrivers(bad planners) who yell at me because they have been driving all night and they have small children who are tired have actually made me want to just walk out of my job before from their rudeness. I have also had people who wanted to do their paperwork for checking in look at the room number and then go scream or otherwise harass the housekeepers on that floor to hurry up. Now that it is summer again I have at the minimum 10 people a day who show up early in the am, sometimes when I am arriving to work at 7am!! The majority of them start out by being rude when I point out that it is not even check-out time yet and their rooms are occupied. I actually had one man who found out by looking at his registration card when I gave him his parking permit what room he was in and actually went up to the room at 8:45am and told the guest in the room to hurry up and leave because he was checking in that day.

So after that long and rambling post my point is that it seems that many adults have the same attitude as the kids, it's all about them ant to heck with principals like respect and courtesy to others and their property.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad Behavior

MBgal123477 wrote:

"I actually had one man who found out by looking at his registration card when I gave him his parking permit what room he was in and actually went up to the room at 8:45am and told the guest in the room to hurry up and leave because he was checking in that day."

Wow. My jaw dropped on this one. Horrible behavior. I sometimes hate people.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad Behavior

Fortunately, the good people out number the rude and badly behaved. I have found great people everywhere I have traveled and occasionally a bad apple. I have made mistakes but when faced in the right manner, good behavior conquers bad. I recently had a guest arrive before the unit was cleaned, and it was my mistake. I had marked his arrival one day later than it should have been. I apologized profusely, arranged for immediate cleaning and told the guest to take his family for a nice dinner and send me the bill. He was very understanding, and I hope no good will was lost. All you can do is try to do what is right.