We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Share your stories of MB woe?

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Share your stories of MB woe?

Reading recent posts about the Rt. 501 traffic jams got me thinking. Sometimes even the best vacations can be interrupted by moments of unplanned misery. Do you have a memory of MB mayhem you'd care to share? A traffic jam? A monumental sunburn? Food poisoning? Rude hotel guests?

My only moment of MB misery came on the day we were leaving town. To avoid the 501 exodus, we stayed in town to kill a few hours. About 1:00 in the afternoon we were wandering downtown, around the Gay Dolphin, and I got what could only be described as heat stroke. It was SCORCHING hot. I could barely keep my eyes open. I believe that even my fingernails were sweating. As I tried to enjoy myself, I could only wonder, over and over, how do people actually live here and survive? It was downright inhospitable. How had I survived two weeks here only to suffer on my last day?

We got back to our car and drove away, gasping in the cool A/C air. I was weak, nauseous, and I couldn't cool down. I kept going, but I didn't feel right until we reached Virginia. MB on that day was hotter than anyplace I'd ever experienced, and I've been to Vegas in July.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
817 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Share your stories of MB woe?

Several years ago the heat in MB was really bad when were there. High temps in the 90's, high humidity, heat index in the triple numbers. The ocean was like bath water, don't even try the pools. We went to dinner that night and decided to hit BATB on our way back, took two steps into BATB and turned around since we could not even take a deep breath due to the heat. Stayed in the AC condo the rest of the night.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,964 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Share your stories of MB woe?

Really, the only bad thing I can remember happening to us......about 7 years ago we stayed at Ocean Forest Plaza. Had a beautiful condo on the 23rd floor! Amazing view! Great week. On the last morning, we all got packed up to head home. Our oldest son, his girlfriend and our young daughter (7) were finished packing so they headed down to start loading up the van. About one half hour later, they had not come back up...so my husband and I and our other son got all the other bags and went to the elevator. It took about 10 minutes for it to arrive. When we got to the lobby....we found out that one of the elevators was stuck on the 21st floor! Guess who was in it?!!! Our kids...and 4 other people! Stuck for 30 minutes!! The MB police and Fire Fighters were finally called..(put together, the staff there didn't have half a brain)

The people on the elevator were finally able to pry the doors apart and had to walk down 21 flights of stairs...with luggage. Everyone was fine..hot, mad, but fine. The Fire Chief who was there, was very mad at the manager...apparently this had happened before.

An exciting and not so fun... end to our wonderful week!;)

North GA
Level Contributor
476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Share your stories of MB woe?

I'll chime in. We had planned to go to the Cirque show and I wore flip flops as we were jsut going there. I got the time wrong and we showed up several hours early. We decided to walk around BATB. Walking in flip flops gave me a HUGE blister that did not show up until later that night. I could barely walk the rest of the time there and almost had to have surgery when I got home. Kind of a yucky story but I seldom wear flip flops anymore!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Share your stories of MB woe?

I have one.. (or two)

One year while vacationing at Ocean Creek Resort..

I was MOM3boys then.. anyhow..

We were notified on the beach.. by flyers.. that a voluntary evacuation was underway.. I told my husband .. that I wanted to go to the condo.. and watch the news to get an idea.. where "Bonnie" was..

We got back to the condo..(notices on doors about the evacuation..) and my husband.. ran for gas.. and I got the boys. .all packed up..

By the time we left.. the evac..was mandatory.. we sat in traffic for about 5 hrs.. or so..

(and once it started moving.. my youngest son..

got very sick.. and was vomiting..)

we were away for 2 days.. in Santee SC and we came back to Ocean Creek.. and were given back the 2 days we missed..so we stayed..

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Share your stories of MB woe?

mom4boys, shush, we finally had jewelgal convinced that she has nothing to worry about. ;-)

Seriously, though, that's a big dent in your vacation.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Share your stories of MB woe?

We usualy camp every summer a t the beach. One year a few friends went along with us. We stayed in a Pop Up and they didn't feel safe leaving there valuables in the PopUp while at the ocean so they decided to lock purses and other vavluables in the car. Well they locked the keys in there along with the pursses. (Why, I don't know) So they called a lock smith and got it unlocked. They dedcided to try this again and locked the keys in there twice in the same day. Luckly the lock smith charged 1/2 peice the second time for them.

EVANS,GA
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Share your stories of MB woe?

in 2005 while out to dinner at thornys,my family and i returned to camelot resort,but they werent letting any one in(the paking garage,office,nothing).we parked across the street and hotel guests were filing out of the resort. no one knew what was going on. The fire dept. arrived and we had a good idea. about a half an hour later they said people could come back in....except for the 7th floor....and that was our floor. we waited about 15 minutes and went up any way (i know foolish and dangerous)walked into our room and water was eveywhere! my portable dvd player,boombox,husbands cellphone was ruined. the "kids" next door left a styrofoam cooler on the stove! word of advice: dont go during high school senior week! (first week in June)

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Share your stories of MB woe?

Once upon a time I was a fitness freak. Part of my vacation routine was a week pass at gym in NMB.

First day at beach. Sunday. Laying on beach. Stood up. Bent to get flip flops. Bang. Semi-yearly lower back muscle spasm. Nothing laying around and eating Alleves doesn't correct. Going to gym was out of the question.

Saw ad in coupon book for free T-shirt with $20 purchase from Coconuts Tiki Bar in Ocean Drive. Couldn't workout but could walk. Walked two miles down beach to find Coconuts. Then back.

Wife asked what they served. Next day. Walked two miles down to get menu and then back.

Later in week. We walked down to eat lunch. Asked for my free T-shirt. None in my size. Walked twelve miles for a shirt that didn't fit.

xenia, ohio
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Share your stories of MB woe?

I remember the evacuation for hurricane bonnie. It took over 5hrs to get to conway. The only thing that could top that was the next year getting evacuated for hurricane floyd.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
705 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Share your stories of MB woe?

I don't remember which hurrican it was but we had been watching it on the news and it was supposed to head across florida and off into the gulf so we went ahead and travelled to mb. We had stopped about half way and spent the night and finished travelling the next day. when we got there that evening and settled in, we flipped on the news and the governor was trying to decide on whether or not to do a mandatory evacuation cause the hurricane had turned and was coming up the coast. We discussed it and decided that we would leave the next morning so we could get some sleep. Big mistake, we should have left then. It took us about 8 hours just to get out of mb and we had to drive all of the way back to knoxville to find a room. Our oldest got sick from being in the car and puked in the diaper bag and all over the back of the van so we had to try and get that cleaned up while sitting in the traffic. It was almost 2 in the morning when we finally got to Knoxville and found a vacant room and then we had to clean up our stuff........it was horrible.