We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming in Aug, what should we do??

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Coming in Aug, what should we do??

Hi there, this will be our very first vacation to Myrtle Beach. We always go to Disney and My hubby is all mickyed out, haha!

We are staying at Oceans One Resort. We are planning on eating breakfast and lunch in our room, we have a kitchen. But we want to eat out for dinner everynight of our stay. We will be staying 4 nights. Any suggestions? I know that we wanna eat at Planet Hollywood, and Hard rock cafe.

We are travling with a 15yr and 7 yr old boys. We plan to lay on the beach some, but wanna do something fun too. Any suggestions?

Also recommend a place to purchase our groceries.

It is so neat to go somewhere new!

Huntersville, North...
Destination Expert
for Huntersville
Level Contributor
574 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming in Aug, what should we do??

I would suggest either the Murrells Inlet area or Calabash for fish. I cant give any recommendations in Murrells Inlet but Ella's or Dockside in Calabash. Avoid the buffets, unless you can eat $25.00 worth of food.

A lot of restaurants offer early bird specials. Take advantage if your schedule lets you.

The aquarium is nice and Broadway at the Beach is always a nighttime destination for us. We also go the the State Park just south of Myrtle one afternoon. You will be amazed at how many sharks teeth you can find if you look around enough.

There are WalMarts in Garden City Myrtle at Hwy 501, Hwy 17 at the Tanger Outlets and between N Myrtle and Cherry Grove on Hwy 17.

Enjoy your trip.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming in Aug, what should we do??

Hello...Two restaurants that would definitly reccommend who be The Carolina Roadhouse, and the Sea Captains House. We ate at both recently and they were both kid friendly and had great food!!! Another suggestion while your at Broadway would be Margaritaville, maybe for lunch...the food is average but it is a very fun place...my daughter who is 8 just loved it! As for things to do... our family likes Barefoot Landing it is similar to Broadway with lots of neat shops but has a different feel..I believe they have fireworks on monday nights. Your boys might also like Alligator Adventure which is located at Barefoot Landing, try to go during "feeding Time"...they'll love that!! You can also give the Hard Rock Park, and the Nascar Speed Park a try...and there is always mini golf...Basically you can never run out of things to do in MB....Good Luck!!!!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming in Aug, what should we do??

Dang, I cant believe he is all mickeyed out! :( lol

I agree with the above poster that Ripley's Aquarium is a good place and it'll be close by when you go to either Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood...

You'll be staying near the Family Kingdom, so you can go there one night and ride some rides...

Lots of mini-golf places to play at...

For Groceries, Walmart is cheaper but FoodLion is closer:

1) Wal-Mart - since you'll be at 1st Ave South, go to 3rd Ave South take 3rd south to 501 west and go two traffic lights and make a left hand turn and you get to the Walmart, you'll see Micheal's, Home Depot, Golden Corral, Verizon Wireless and you know you'll be in the right spot for Walmart.

2) Food Lion - it'll be on Business 17(kings highway) and 13th Ave South.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming in Aug, what should we do??

Your boys might enjoy Dicks Last Resort..resturant at Barefoot Landing. I've never been there but my son went there once...different kind of place...the staff is ..well, gruff and not very polite..but its SUPPOSED to be like that. All in good fun! Here is the website:

myrtlebeach.dickslastresort.com/index.php

Be sure to go to Broadway at the Beach...great place!

http://www.batb.com/

As far as groceries....Krogers, Food Lion, Walmart...just DON'T GO on Saturday afternoon!!!!!

Have Fun!!

(We are going in about one month..can't wait!)

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming in Aug, what should we do??

Dick's is not appropriate for your 7 year old.

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
851 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming in Aug, what should we do??

My kids ALWAYS wanted to ride go-karts when we were at the beach. (Nascar Speedpark or Kart Trax are a couple of places I can think of).

BTW...we have been to Dick's Last Resort with children.

They kept it all very PG at our table when they were with us...it was fun.

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming in Aug, what should we do??

I've been to Dick's. Several times. Guess I just don't understand taking young children to a place where the parent is going to have to explain crude remarks as well as eating overpriced and tasteless food. There are so many other great activities in Myrtle Beach for young kids why expose them to a place that is obviously for an older crowd. The 15 year old is not the issue but I wouldn't take a 7 year old.

Check out this site for plenty of family friendly activities:

http://www.funbeaches.com/to_do.html

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming in Aug, what should we do??

I would avoid Dick's Last Resort on the food alone. For a 7 yr. old you may have to explain a lot of off color humor from the wait staff. This includes what they write on the paper hats of the table of adults next to you if you get my drift!!! The food is really not good IMO.

I highly recommend Broadway at the Beach as this has something for everyone. Barefoot landing is OK, but not as exciting as Broadway. Also, pick a mini golf course of your liking and enjoy.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming in Aug, what should we do??

Ok...sorry....forget Dicks!

Just be sure to go to Broadway...and the Aquarium. Fun for everyone there! Great on a really HOT day..or rainy day too.

Nascar is fun..if you are into that kind of thing.

Lots of putt-putt places.....take your pick.

Carolina Roadhouse or that WIld WIngs place look good.

Would your 7 yr old like to do the "Build A Bear" thing? They have all kinds of animals to make....not just bears. It is SO much fun! My daughter and I went in early evening, no lines then....I had more fun than she did. She built a "monkey" So Cute. Her name is "Myrtle" Go figure. ;)

Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
571 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming in Aug, what should we do??

K & W cafeteria is always a very good inexpensive alternative should the family get tired of all the other good food MB has to offer. Carolina Roadhouse is my favorite place because of the salads and ribs. Most all the restaurants have their menus posted on their respective websites. I try and stay away from all the seafood buffets because of price and overall quality of food.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach