We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myrtle Beach vs. North Myrtle Beach

Lafayette,TN
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Myrtle Beach vs. North Myrtle Beach

Pardon me for looking ahead, but we are planning our trip to Myrtle Beach next July. Our group we consist of 2 couples ( one in 30's, one in 40's) and our sons (13 & 18). Would Myrtle Beach or North Myrtle Beach be better for us. We like shopping, eating, go-karts, mini-golf, and the 13 year old likes amusement parks. Thank you.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myrtle Beach vs. North Myrtle Beach

MB is closer to hub of attractions. Still requires some driving to get around. More congested. On the beach and on the streets.

NMB. Longer drive to most attractions but not as bad as it looks. Less congestion. Don't know situation with the boys but 13 year old would be safer running alone or with new found friends in NMB. ( just my opinion)

Never actually compared but some say the rates are lower in NMB.

If there for mostly non-beach activities everyday. Might lean towards MB.

Lay on beach everyday with couple nights during week going to attractions. NMB.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Myrtle Beach vs. North Myrtle Beach

I agree with everything pop2748 wrote. Very well summarized. And good for you for planning ahead, it's the only way to be. I like to get it done early and then spend about 6 months just daydreaming about vacation.

Lafayette,TN
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Myrtle Beach vs. North Myrtle Beach

Thank you both. My husband is quite opposite from me. He wants to just leave on the spur of the moment and hope to find something when we get there. I just can't hardly bring myself to do that. Thanks for helping plan our trip.

ohio
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Myrtle Beach vs. North Myrtle Beach

We usually stay in northern MB right before NMB. I really like that area because we are maybe a mile to Tanger Outlet Mall, Walmart, restaurant row. It is a quiet area and when the boys were younger, I always felt safe for our boys to go off along the beach and around the resort by themselves.

Usually we go to Barefoot Landing which is only a few miles and then into MB and BATB a few nights but this past year we went into NMB a couple times to eat and play putt-putt. The courses didn't seem as busy there and they were nice. Of course we still went to BATB and drove clear out to the new "outdoor" mall.

The places we have stayed are Kingston Plantation and then this year Sea Watch -

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
361 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Myrtle Beach vs. North Myrtle Beach

Another idea, that the boys might like, where there are tons, and ton's of teenagers---the campgrounds, Pirateland, Ocean Lakes and I think Lakewood rents houses/mobil homes. We camp for 6 years @ Pirateland when our kids were teenagers. They love it, my son and his buddy were 21 when we stop going but they met so many people. We felt save letting the kids go around by themselves because everyone was out, and it is different than hotel. They have a teen dance once a week (prob. the 13 yr would like it, not 18). You almost have to rent a golf cart to get around. Plently to do without leaving the campground.

You can also look into Surfside/or Garden City beach area. Still close to M. Beach but, not as much traffic. Years ago when we rented a condo there we actually were in M. Beach, but in the very Northern end---I think after our condo's it turn into all houses. Which was nice. Be careful about renting in downtown M.Beach that if there are hotels located for several streets beyond the beach you will be sharing the beach space.

Huntersville, North...
Destination Expert
for Huntersville
Level Contributor
577 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Myrtle Beach vs. North Myrtle Beach

Go with NMB or Cherry Grove. Its less crowded and when you want to go to BATB, Nascar Speedpark, Tanger Outlets, Myrtle Waves etc... you can take the Hwy 31 bypass. It has exits to all the attractions and only takes about 20 minutes end to end. (Hwy 9 to Hwy 544). Elliot Rentals is the dominamt rental company in NMB and Chery Grove. I've never had a bad experience renting from them.

Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
584 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Myrtle Beach vs. North Myrtle Beach

MB or NMB is not the place to just arrive and try and find something during the month of July. VRBO.com is full of condos and homes available direct from owners. One of the most convenient location is in close proximity to Kingston Plantation. This area has restaurant row, Barefoot Landing, The Outlet Mall, mini golf, go-carts, etc. The only major amusement park I believe is new Hard Rock facility near BATB. I understand this is fairly expensive. Check their website. Also, if u haven't done already, go to the MB/NMB Tourist website and request a book which can be very helpful. Look at Google mapping for MB and NMB and select business/etc and find u can find most anything around a resort. Look at MB Coupons for discounts at numerous services, etc. Finally, don't worry about pre-planning, I have been doing it for years. Vacation is for fun and pre-planning is very important. Also, in the long-run, it can save time and money. Let me know if I can help. John

Lafayette,TN
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Myrtle Beach vs. North Myrtle Beach

I always go through VRBO for our vacation rentals. I have always been satisfied with the places we have stayed and the people we have dealt with. Did you say that BATB is in MB? Therefore, I guess we wouldn't need to stay in NMB. I did find a house with a pool in NMB, but there aren't many houses with pools in the MB area. Or at least not a reasonable price. We want to stay as close to the beach as possible (my husband would spend the entire time at the beach, if he had his way about it), and the ones right on the beach are very expensive. The one I found is $2650 for the week and it's 300 ft. from the beach. As I said before, it will be 2 couples and 2 young men. It sounds perfect for us but if it's not near anything, I don't know. Thank you so much for your help.

Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
584 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Myrtle Beach vs. North Myrtle Beach

BATB is close to the downtown area of MB. However, Hwy 31 which extends between MB and NMB was built to relieve the heavy traffic along Hwy 17/Hwy 17 Business during the peak hours between MB and NMB. Still expect some slow traffic as it is necessary to be on Hwy 17/Hwy 17 Business at times.

One resort our family has always enjoyed is Kingston Plantation, a gated community near Restaurant Row, outlet malls, Barefoot Landing, golf courses, mini-golf, etc. Go to VRBO and look at listing 39075. It is located at front of resort near ocean in the Windermere section comprised of 2/3/4 bedroom townhomes. It is a very nice area convenient to the Embassey Suites which is the hub of the resort. Also, it is only $2600 per week during July and just a short walk to the beach, pool or restaurants at ES. Understand, it is not my house nor am I advertising for anyone. We stayed next door to this unit in 2003. Had stayed at ES and plan on staying at one of their condominium facilities, Brighton Towers, during Labor Day weekend. Look at Kingston Plantation website for info on the resort as a whole. There is another house within Windermere at Vacation Rentals. Com listing 3911.

We have never stayed in the NMB area.

Conway
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Myrtle Beach vs. North Myrtle Beach

North Myrtle Beach is part of the Myrtle Beach area. Most visitors don't even notice when they've crossed into North Myrtle Beach.

For instance, the person above who says they never stayed in the NMB area, actually stayed one mile outside of NMB in Kingston Plantation. Barefoot Landing is in North Myrtle Beach, as is the House of Blues, Alligator Adventure and Carolina Opry.

Mini-golf, shopping, and eating is everywhere from Cherry Grove (the most northern part of North Myrtle Beach) on down.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations