We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jungle Princess or Sea Screamer

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
51 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Jungle Princess or Sea Screamer

Has anyone ever been on one of these boats and how was it. Which is better? Is this a far out drive from Myrtle Beach.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jungle Princess or Sea Screamer

Have been on the sea screamer & we all loved it. They started out with a slow cruise & ended with a fast & fun run up & down the shore of North Myrtle. We had everyone from my mom to teens to a 6 year-old with us & everyone had fun.

It was all the way north, but definitely not too far. I'm not a good estimater of driving time....someone else will chime in with that.

Never been on the jungle princess.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jungle Princess or Sea Screamer

You're comparing two different animals. I can't comment on the Jungle Princess, but my family and I rode the Sea Screamer. It's worth the money and they give you a nice 2 hour ride. Here's how it goes...

The boat holds about 100 people. All seats are good seats because anything you miss on the way out you'll see on the way back. The seats in the front of the boat will stay dry. The folks in the back of the boat WILL get wet. Soaked! Also, wear your sunscreen.

The cruise starts by heading out to sea on the intercoastal waterway. The captain offers a few historical tidbits along the way, but not much. (Did you know that the intercoastal waterway is man-made and runs from Florida to New Jersey!) The most interesting sight is the area where the waterway meets the ocean. Here you'll see many folks in small boats parked on a sandbar/penninsula and are enjoy utterly unspoiled beach terrain, fishing, etc. On my next trip to MB I'm definitely going to rent a boat and check out this area.

Then you scream out to sea! Well, not exactly screaming, just a nice quick cruise. The boat is powerful, but I was very disappointed to learn just how fast this boat is NOT. It could have gone faster but the sea had 3' to 4' waves. After a couple of minutes the Sea Screamer slows way down so it can tailgate some shrimp trawlers. This is where the dolphins are seen, following the shrimp boats. The dolphins don't play with you, they're only there to get some fishing scraps. If you blink you might miss'em.

After that, you'll cruise south for quite a while as fast as the boat can take you. (Our captain said we cruised at 26 knots.) This is the part of the trip that gets everyone soaked. Bring a change of clothes! The boat then turns around and brings you back to port.

Be sure to arrive at least one hour early to get tickets. I got there 50 minutes early and was lucky to get the last four tickets! After you have your tickets, try to get on line right away to snag the desirable front seats. The boat does have restrooms below deck.

You should also know that there's a boat identical to the Sea Screamer which offers the same ride and sails from the same area. We saw the boat 100 yards behind us. You'll find MANY cruises offered in MB, some slow, some fast, some serve dinner. Shop around.

One more Sea Screamer tip. All around the "cockpit" of the boat you'll find bench seating, your back will rest against the cockpit. We sat on one side of this area and it was great. Nobody sitting in front of us, and we could stand up to peer over the edge of the boat whenever we wanted.

But we did get soaked. Soggy soaked! Did I mention that we got wet?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
51 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jungle Princess or Sea Screamer

Thanks for the advice. Another question is the sea screamer ok to get on if your pregnant. This isnt like a major force when it speeds up.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
114 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jungle Princess or Sea Screamer

I've been to MB numerous times and never heard of this...sounds like fun! I MUST check this out! (Sea Screamer!) Thanks!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jungle Princess or Sea Screamer

I might be somewhat concerned about getting on the seascreamer being pregnant. Depending on the weather conditions and the amount of boat traffic, the water can be choppy and you can get quite a jolt. I might do the Jungle Princess instead.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jungle Princess or Sea Screamer

Hey, wait, I remembered a discussion on this forum from back in May. The Jet-A-Wave is another option that looks fantastic. Click below...

http://tinyurl.com/6mlp5b

http://www.jetawave.com/

GA
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jungle Princess or Sea Screamer

We just returned from a trip to Myrtle Beach and booked an afternoon on the Sea Screamer based on responses from TA. The management has changed the "fun and exciting" part to slow and boring. No one got wet, and we travelled very slowly out to sea and returned. We did stop behind a shrimp boat so that we could view dolphins and that was probably the most esciting part. The P A system was not working proberly, therefore there was no info about the area. We were VERY disappointed. We could have charted a boat if all we wanted was a boat ride.

Nancy

philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Jungle Princess or Sea Screamer

I went on the Jungle Princess this past May. The ride was very nice and the food was good. The boat itself could use a spruce up but all in all it was a nice time.

9. Re: Jungle Princess or Sea Screamer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2009, 05:18