We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 09 trip

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
May 09 trip

We had been planning a trip to NC & SC in September but have had to delay until May next year. We will be over during Myrtle Beach Bike week. We are planning to spend half the time in North Carolina & the other half in South Carolina. Will it be very busy during this time? We will probably arrive at Myrtle beach on the last night of bike week. Is it better to stay outside the town as I am worried about availability of rooms in the town.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 09 trip

Hi Fiona,

I don't think you'll have any problem with lodging. IMO, bike week really isn't the nightmare people make it out to be. Maybe a little noisier, but it's no more crowded than other popular weekends (e.g., July 4th). If you're that worried about it, plan to stay either on the north end or the south end of Myrtle...Cherry Grove and Ocean Drive sections in the north, or Surfside and Garden City beaches in the south. But since you're arriving on the last day, I think you'd be fine staying anywhere you like...availability shouldn't be a problem.

Just curious, where in North Carolina will you be visiting?

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 09 trip

I think you should be fine if you are arriving the last day. My recommendation would be to stay in North Myrtle Beach. It is usually quiet there and that is closest to North Carolina.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: May 09 trip

You will be better off staying in North Myrtle Beach for the Harley week, lots of talk about stopping the rallies, etc, but I don't see that happening. Harley event usually draws bigger crowds to south end of the beach more so then north end. Its the Memorial Weekend bikefest that is more of a traffic/noise/crowd headache, the harley event is crowded but so spread out biggest traffic issues are Ocean Blvd in Myrtle Beach and Hwy 17 by the harley shops. Plenty of rooms available in NMB and MB during this time as many resorts/condo's do not rent to motorcycles or trailers.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 09 trip

We will probably fly into Raleigh and stop there for the night, after that our itinerary looks as follows

Asheville-Biltmore

Pigeon Forge

Hendersonville

Augusta

Hilton Head Island

Myrtle Beach

Atlantic Beach or other place in area

Nags Head

Back to Raleigh to fly home

Any suggestions would be grate. Are these towns good places to spend the night or are there other places nearby that you would recommend more? We dont really like staying in the big cities, we like smaller places. We will stay 1 night at most places and maybe 2 at Asheville.

I am very much looking forward to our trip as we have been trying to get to Carolina for years but our plans keep changing.

North GA
Level Contributor
476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 09 trip

My brother went to MED school in Augusta. Not sure I would consider it worthy of a stop/stay unless there is somehting or someone there you want to see.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 09 trip

^^ Wow, that's quite an itenerary. My thoughts, for what they're worth:

Asheville-Biltmore: absolutely. Asheville is a beautiful, lively city with lots to do.

Pigeon Forge--Never been there, but if you like tourist-trap kinds of places, I'm sure it's okay. For my money, I'd prefer a more rustic mountain experience like whitewater rafting on the Nantahala River or hiking the Linville gorge. But that's just me.

Hendersonville--It's a nice small town, but I'm not sure what the attraction is for someone travelling from Scotland. Not saying you shouldn't go there, but I'm curious about what attracted you there given that it's so close to Asheville.

Augusta--agree with above poster. This wouldn't be high on my list unless I was a huge golf fan or I had some other specific reason to visit. If you're set on visiting a Georgia location, I think Savannah would be a much better option.

Hilton Head Island--Awesome place. Laid back, beautiful beaches, almost tropical climate. It's close enough to Charleston, which is worth a visit since you'll be in the area. Charleston is a charming city with lots of history.

Myrtle Beach--YES!

Atlantic Beach or other place in area--Atlantic Beach is a nice beach, but to be honest there's not a lot to do there other than the beach itself. Since you're visiting several other beaches already, not sure what the attraction is here. I would suggest spending more time on the Outer Banks as an alternative, or perhaps a day or two in Wilmington.

Nags Head--Definitely. As I mentioned above, you may want to spend additional time exploring the Outer Banks.

Hope this helps!

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May 09 trip

Hendersonville & Augusta were only places to stop over on the way to the next destination. We dont have anyone to visit there and would welcome suggestions as to other places we can stay nearby.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May 09 trip

Okay. Nothing wrong with either Hendersonville or Augusta, so don't let me scare you away from them. Hendersonville has some nice bed & breakfast choices, but then again so does Asheville and there are more things to do there. The mountains of NC are beautiful, so I don't think you'd go wrong with any choice you make. Assuming Pigeon Forge is a "must-do" on your list, I'd suggest the following:

Stay in Asheville for at least a couple of nights. There are many things you can do here--visit the Asheville tripadvisor forum for recommendations. Then go to Pigeon Forge for however long you plan to stay there. From there, consider taking US 441 south through the Great Smoky Mtns. National Park (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/). Lots of things to see and do in this area. There are a number of small mountain towns that would be nice to stay in, including Dillsboro, Bryson City, or Highlands. From here, you can take US 23 south into the Atlanta area, or backtrack to Asheville to pick up I-26 south. I know you listed Augusta, but I would suggest skipping Georgia altogether and spending the time in Charleston, SC (I-26 will take you directly there from Asheville). You can then work you way up the coastline through Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, and on to the Outer Banks.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

cumberland gap, tn
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: May 09 trip

Fiona,was reading your post about visiting pigeon forge, I live about an hour or so from there,you didn't say how long you would be in pigeon forge but they have a new hotel that we stayed in last christmas,it's called THE CHRISTMAS PLACE INN. This place is beautiful,the whole hotel is in christmas theme all year round,very very nice,great beds,great breakfast buffet,which is included with your stay,they have different rooms to pick from,you can find them on the web,if you go check out the christmas place across the street from the hotel.You might wont to check out all the log cabin's if you like that,we stay at---eagles ridge--at the north cabin's,there nice to,and very close to downtown pigeon forge, just a few suggestions,have a great vacation. rainbows

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: May 09 trip

I would fly into Atlanta. Then use this schedule.

1. Two Days in Charleston SC.

2. Three-four days in Myrtle Beach area.

3. Four-five days in Pigeon Forge/Asheville area.

4. Easy drive back to fly out of Atlanta.

This would save you a lot of driving and packing and unpacking.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations