We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hard Rock Park latest news

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
411 reviews
Save Topic
Hard Rock Park latest news

There are a couple of recent articles in the SunNews about Hard Rock Park. One article says the major creditor of Hard Rock Park is doubtful the management can pull the park out of its financial troubles and is demanding the park be put up for sale by Halloween. The other article details some of the early warnings on marketing and advertising that the park management evidently decided to ignore. I think we all knew they didn't have a very good advertising/marketing scheme but it sounds like they were warned of the consequences beforehand. Here are the links:

myrtlebeachonline.com/101/story/613020.html

myrtlebeachonline.com/142/story/636142.html

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hard Rock Park latest news

F-I-A-S-C-O

I have nothing more to add.

Canfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
678 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hard Rock Park latest news

I know personally we go for the beach as there are plenty of amusement parks within a two hour drive around me. It does not surprise me at all that this failed. Also, Hard Rock does not appeal to everyone!

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hard Rock Park latest news

I'm with OSU. We go to the beach for the beach mainly. I have been to the Pavilion and Family Kingdom but they aint/weren't $5o to get into either. I hate to hear that it failed so quickly but if it had more rides and cheaper prices then I will probably go eventualy.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
270 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hard Rock Park latest news

I would like to add that I know that the summer is their busy season, but in early September they were only open on weekends, and not any week days, so that meant that it was out for us, as our travel days arrival and departure were weekends. And it did seem a little pricey. So what will they do with that property?????

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hard Rock Park latest news

Ideally the park re-opens with better advertising/marketing and reduced prices. They cut operating costs as much as possible without degrading the guest experience and they make a go of it. If not then they try to find a buyer which won't be easy. Most of the big boys in the theme park industry have already taken on acquisitions of other large parks so they don't have the money. Plus it seems like a very risky investment.

Other than Medieval Times I can't think of anything that has survived in that area for long. I think crossing the Intercoastal Waterway is a huge barrier that people have in their minds. It's a point that says you're either arriving or leaving Myrtle Beach for most people. About all they could do is sell the rides for pennies on the dollar and the land then sits vacant for years.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hard Rock Park latest news

Maybe the gov't will bail them out! ; )

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hard Rock Park latest news

Looks like they won't be forced to sell the park any time soon. The bankruptcy judge granted a request for the park to borrow an additional $1 million to pay for legal expenses and has allowed them to delay filing their financial statement until Nov. 18th. What will happen then who knows.

Watertown...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hard Rock Park latest news

We went to the park 3 times this past summer. The talent was fantastic, the park was clean and the rides were great. I really hope this park makes a comeback. I do think if they had put in a water park it would have been an added draw. I hope it is up and running again next summer as we would not hesitate to go again...and again.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hard Rock Park latest news

The Pavillion closed due to lack of making money, what made them think this would work with an big increase in cost to get in is beyond me??? Most people go to the beach for the beach, food, and to relax. Not to go to an amusement park and pay $50/person to get in. The reviews were not that great so this is not a shocker. When you get right down to it, it only lasted about 4 months.

10. Re: Hard Rock Park latest news

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 21:20