We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxes

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indina
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taxes

This will be our first trip next summer to Myrtle Beach South Carolina. Can anyone tell me what is taxed? Where we live clothes are not taxed but I know some of the lower states tax everything. Not sure if that is the case here.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxes

If you'll buy it, we'll tax it. About the only exception I can think of is non-prepared food items in grocery stores. Prescription drugs may also be exempt. There may be others, but those are the biggies.

Charlotte
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxes

Sales tax in Myrtle Beach is around 7 or 7/5%. Not sure to be honest with you! My wife and I live in Charlotte, North Carolina and for the past 17 years have gone back to Myrtle Beach for our annual vacation. Since cost seems to be an issue with you and lodging being a major expenditure I would like to recommend Carolina Winds on 76th Street North Myrtle Beach as your destination. It offers everything one would want to do - close proximity to shops, restuarants, and places to go in general. It offers both indoor and outdoor swimming pools, a gymnasium, restuarant, and a lazy river - my wife's favorite pastime!!!!! Above all we are always complimentary regarding quality of service the staff provides. We have checked other facilities in the area and Carolina Winds, without a doubt, offers the best deal for the buck. We strongly recommend it to anyone travelling to Myrter Beach. Get on info@carolinawinds.com and check it out!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxes

Besides the sales tax (and yes, most apparel is taxed), the other tax that will impact visitors is the resort (hotel) tax, a whopping 10% of your room rate (PLUS sales tax).

As if this "double whammy" doesn't take a big enough bite out of your budget, some properties also add a daily "resort" or "entertainment" fee, supposedly to cover the cost of various on-site ammenities. I really object to this one...why not charge only those guests who use them AS they use them.

I also remember a heated thread here about yet another hotel tax that was "refuseable" if you caught on that you had been charged (and, of course, most guests never noticed). I believe it was $1.00 per night and went to the city of MB but can't recall for what...anyone know if this is still being charged & why?

When checking rates always ask if all taxes and daily fees are included.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxes

My error: The total tax on accomodations is 11% within the boundaries of MB. Not sure about NMB, Surfside, GC, etc.

Here is the lowdown on all MB taxes: (Note that even unprepared grocery items are taxed!)

www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/didyouknow2.html

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxes

In Myrtle Beach, the state wide sales tax is 5%, the state accommodations tax is 2%, the local sales tax (Horry County) is 1%, the Horry County accommodations tax is 3%, giving a total "sales tax" rate of 11%. This is what I have to collect and pay on my "transient rentals". anything less than 90 days. More than 90 days is not taxed.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxes

We just passed a new sales tax on November 4th, but it wont be on groceries. The sales tax is another 1% and it goes to our schools. The 1% tax you pay on the groceries is the sales tax we passed a few years ago to pay for our road improvements.

-So now when you go out to eat in Horry County it will be 8.5%

-Groceries will still be 1%

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxes

Your week at Myrtle will still cost much less than a week at the Jersey shore during the summer.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxes

Not sure when it will take effect, but hospitality tax will be 12%. Everything is taxed in SC.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxes

takes effect March 1st, if you have reservations to arrive after March 1st you will have to pay the addtional 1%.

10. Re: Taxes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 18:16