We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you been to BOTH Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge?

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Have you been to BOTH Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge?

I've been doing my favorite winter activity, planning our summer vacation. Looking around at places we've never been, but are driveable, I noticed Pigeon Forge, TN. Dollywood aside, I wondered to myself what might be worthwhile in this very popular tourist destination. So I scoured the internet.

My conclusion is that Pigeon Forge is exactly like Myrtle Beach except that they have the beautiful Smokey Mountains instead of the beautiful Atlantic Ocean. Am I close to being right on this one?

One funny note, and the basis of my conclusion, is the view from this webcam:

http://tinyurl.com/5kzkws

If you take control of the cam and look directly across the street you'll see a large MB-style gift shop, complete with a gigantic shark as the entryway! Hilarious. A shark in the middle of Tennessee.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you been to BOTH Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge?

We have been to Pigeon Forge a few times, been to MB more than 50 times. I cant imagine that many trips to PF. Maybe because I love the beach more than the mountains. If you can do river floats vs. ocean, mountain paths rather beach walks, not nearly as much shopping or number of restaurants, PF is worth a trip or two, but not 50,

Georgia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you been to BOTH Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge?

Myrtle Beach hands down! I do go to both regulary and three is no comparison in my opinion. PF is a nice place to spend a 2-3 days, but I could spend two weeks in MB with no problem.

Plus, I do like the beach more than the mountains.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you been to BOTH Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge?

I grew up in the PF area and I love the Smokies but I'm not a fan of the touristy muck that has creeped into both Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Maybe it's progress but to me it's just a traffic jam to avoid for the most part. Fortunately a large percentage of those people never make it into the Smokies or if they do they never leave the paved roads and trails. All that "stuff" could be anywhere and people would probably still come (like Wisconsin Dells and Branson, MO).

The nice thing about MB is that the beach is the main attraction. The rest of the "stuff" is just for evening entertainment and not a main draw. I agree that there are many more options for wonderful food in MB than in the PF/GB area.

In all I would say the PF/GB area is something someone should try at least once and maybe again every 5-10 years but it's nothing I would want to do every year. But then I don't care about going to MB every year either- too many other interesting things to see and do in this country for that.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you been to BOTH Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge?

Wow, a flurry of responses. Thanks, but I should clarify. I've been to MB several times, I'm only wondering if Pigeon Forge is worth my time if it's just more of the same tourist dreck.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you been to BOTH Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge?

Unless you want to visit for the mountains, hiking, etc. it's just more of the tourist trap stuff. Kinda like MB without the ocean, Niagra Falls without the falls, etc. Don't mean to make Pigeon Forge lovers mad....just one humble opinion!

The mountains are absolutely beautiful.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you been to BOTH Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge?

I've been to both and they both have their charm. I would not go during November or December as it is very crowded. I probably would not plan a trip to PF again unless someone else was paying. I much prefer the beach. Yes PF is a tourist trap and it has its charm. Gatlinburg is more known for weddings if that matters to you. There are a lot of little wedding chapels. If the mountains do not interest you or if you are not interested in Dollywood, then don't waste your time and money. If either of those things do, then go.

ohio
Level Contributor
193 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have you been to BOTH Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge?

We go to MB every summer and have been to the Smokies once. We stayed in Gatlinburg at the Hampton at the very end of the strip and right before the entrance to the park. I loved the Smokies. If you stay in PF and want to go into Gatlinburg and the park the traffic is horrible. We were able to walk to shopping and dinner. Since we were so close to the park entrance we did not have to deal with the traffic coming thru town to get the the park attractions. We also love the beach so much that we just can not give it up so this past year we rode our motorcycle from Ohio to Asheville, NC stayed a couple days and enjoyed the mountains and then continued on to MB for the rest of the week . It was the best of both.

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have you been to BOTH Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge?

I took 2 of my younger children to Dollywood several years ago. We actually went to that area twice and had a great time. It's certainly not the same as Myrtle Beach but we did enjoy our experience. We still prefer Myrtle Beach but am glad we did take the trip to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
705 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have you been to BOTH Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge?

I do think you would enjoy Pigeon Forge. I would stay in Gatlinburg if I were you, it is nicer. Pigeon Forge is fun for a quick trip but if it tells you antyhing, it is only about 4 hours from us and we haven't been in about 10 years. It is very touristy to the point of being almost too much but ifyou like to shop, there are some pretty good deals. Gatlinburg is touristy as well but has a different feel to it. FYI- if y ou don't want to deal with a huge crowd, don't go during the car show. If you don't mind, the car show is awesome.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Have you been to BOTH Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge?

if you like night life and entertainment then NO to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. Well Gatlinburg, at least has a few restaurants and has more charm to it, but Pigeon Forge is much like the retail/show/some restaurants-Myrtle Beach. I lived hour away from Pigeon Forge for almost 2 yrs, I would not ever go back because #1 if you think traffic is bad here, you "ain't seen nothing" Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg traffic is horrendous! I am here in Myrtle Beach for night life and entertainment anyway (besides our jobs of course)

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach