We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Myrtle Beach

chicago, il
2 posts
Save Topic
Weather in Myrtle Beach

Hi

We are planning to visit Myrtle Beach during Dec 25-30, and are wondering what the weather is generally like. Is it too chilly to enjoy the beach and water?

Do a lot of people come to Myrtle Beach during this time or they prefer not to, due to the weather?

Thanks

N

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Myrtle Beach

The highs this time of year can be iffy. They probbly average the 60's. It is way to cold to get in the ocean. Most places has indoor pools so you can still swim. The beach will be fine during the day with a jacket. Very few people visit the beach in the winter. I prefer it more because it is less crowds. There may not be many things opened the week you are here but I aint sure.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Myrtle Beach

We go at this time almost every year. Low crowds, no lines for attractions and restaurants, no traffic problems (except the day after Christmas exchanges), great end of year shopping, etc.Can usually enjoy walking on the beach unless the wind gets up too much. Way too cold for ocean swimming, unless maybe you are a member of the polar bear club.

Myrtle Beach, SC
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Myrtle Beach

The weather has been rather unusual this year in Nov and the 1st part of Dec. It has been far colder than normal. We have already had numerous nights of below 30. Really strange. Very few people except those from Canada, Ohio, and NY get into the ocean during this time of the year. It is far too cold. Just be prepared for anything. From the 40's to the 70's. And cold at night.

Enjoy Christmas at the Beach.

chicago, il
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Myrtle Beach

Thanks for all the responses..it was really helpful. I really appreciate it.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Myrtle Beach

I'm from the Chicago area and have been coming to MB from the last few years for the winter. It has been colder here than usual for this time of year. Check your hotel to be sure the inside pool is enclosed. The only way to go into the ocean now is a wet suit. I have seen some younger people in the water but I think that has to do with a few shots of Jack Daniels?

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Myrtle Beach

It's definitely been colder this year but this week is supposed to be 70 degrees every day. So you never really know.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Myrtle Beach

It is a high of 75 here today and will be much of the same the rest of this week and weekend. But starting Monday the high will be in the low 40's! Quite a change.

But I can recall many a Christmas days walking on the beach in a pair of shorts. Our really cold weather doesnt come until January or February.

It is certainly too cold to get in the ocean though, it is usually sometime in April when I start surfing again without wearing a thermal suit.

8. Re: Weather in Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 03:18