We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip

NC
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Family Trip

I am trying to plan our family beach trip for 2009. When is the best time of year to go when the weather is nice but it's not too crowded?

Where is a good place to stay? We always stayed at Crown Reef when I was younger, but we haven't been in 10 years and I have heard it is not very nice anymore.

The people going will be my dad (41) my mom (40) my sister (20) her best friend (20) me (22) my husband (25) and our son who is 6 months now and will be 1 in June. I would like to find a 3 bedroom suite for all of us to stay in.

NC
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Trip

Also, recommendations on things to do and places to eat would be great!! I remember loving Myrtle Beach when I was little but I haven't been in a really long time.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Trip

The best time to go is around the middle of September to the first of October. School will be back in b then and the rates will be cheaper. It will still be hot but not as bad as it is in August. the Grand Atlantic is about 1-2years old and it is about 1 mile or so from the Crown Reef. Another one that your son my like will be Comp0ass Cove because they have many pools for kids.

Ohio
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Trip

Angello's is a must stop for the VERY BEST steak in MB. Also, if you are a wing lover, Wild Wing Cafe in Barefoot Landing is great!! Enjoy!!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Trip

Agree with cbrguest except that I would also consider October & even early November. Rates drop more during this period than the temps, and most years you can still swim (ocean or outdoor pools) into November.

If you want to stay in the area you are accustomed to, I would second Compass Cove (Pinnacle Tower). Crown Reef seems to go up & down (check the reviews here); could be fine to go back but you wouldn't know 'til you got there.

You will notice many new hotels and other changes since you were last there...if you want to try a different part of town just read the reviews to find a nice hotel in stretch.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,534 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Trip

If you have to go in the summer, because of school..I would suggest mid to late June. Rates are still ok, crowds not too bad and the summer heat hasn't set in yet. (Normally) Last year we went in the middle of August, typically the hottest time of year...but was nice temps in the lower 80's. Not bad at all. So, you never know, weather wise.

Carolina WInds has very nice 3 bedroom condos. Some with wrap-around balconys with breathtaking views.

Its in the 76th Ave of MB. Also look into hotels in North Myrtle Beach.

NC
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Trip

I guess I should have mentioned that my sister and her friend are both still in college so summer would be best. My son's 1st birthday is June 13. Would that be a nice time to go?

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Trip

The last week of June is ideal. The high school graduates are usually gone and it is the week before the July 4th crowds. It's usually warm to hot during the day but still gets a litle cool in the night. The humidity usually has not gotten really high by then. Sometimes though it can be hot. The third week of June probably is all right too. If that is not good, then the 2nd week of August is usually good but it can be really hot. I would look at something toward the northern part of Myrtle Beach or North Myrtle Beach. Surfside or Garden City is okay too but if stay in the middle of Myrtle Beach expect it to be more crowded during those times. A lot of 3 bedroom condos will rent only by the week then so you might have to do some searching if you don't plan to stay for an entire week.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,534 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Trip

EmilyAnn, June 13 would be a good time. Be aware though, that Senior Week(s) is from the last week in May to about the 3rd week in June. This is the time high school seniors have graduated and go to MB for a week long vacation...by themselves...no supervision. They tend to stay closer to where the Pavillion used to be...so if you and your family stay toward the northern end...or North Myrtle Beach...you should have no problems.

Lugoff, SC
Level Contributor
436 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Trip

My favorite time to stay is any time between April- September! I'm not sure what you mean by nice weather. Nice, beach weather to me is hot, like 90 degrees, without rain of course. Weather is difficult to determine, I was there yesterday in short sleeves at the end of December! Not sure what your budget is but I would suggest getting on VRBO and looking around. I love Breakers, Blue Water. In Garden City I love Waters Edge Resort. If you are worried about crowds I would skip the last week in May thru the 3rd week in June.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Trip

We normally go in late June or July. We went late season a couple of times and got bit by hurricane evacuations both times- not a pleasant experience but we made the best of it. We stick with June/July now. Just something to think about.