We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the ocean swimming like???

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
What is the ocean swimming like???

I read in a previous post that someone mentioned the ocean was not good for swimming. That's the first time I've heard that about Myrtle Beach. We've never been there before and was wondering what everyone else thought about the ocean.

We usually vacation in OC, Maryland or the Outer Banks and have no problem with swimming in the ocean. My boys are 11, 14 and 16 and love to ride waves and boogie board. I assumed Myrtle Beach would be fine for that. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the ocean swimming like???

As far the the current of the water goes I would say that it is very similar to Ocean City. Although I found at high tide the waves and water can get very choppy, causing my daughter to "wipe out" on her boogie board..(something your boys might enjoy). As far has the temperture of the water and appearence of the beach..Oc can not compare. The water is much warmer/bluer and the beach is wide and beautiful. IMO the water is just fine for swimming.

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
901 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the ocean swimming like???

I would agree with the above poster. There is nothing wrong with swimming in the ocean in MB. Our children (14, 10 and 4 at the time) loved playing in the water last year. I would just be extra careful if there is a storm brewing in the area.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the ocean swimming like???

Like at any beach. Just have to use common sense when in the water. Grand Strand beaches are well patroled with life guards. They keep good eye on currents and other water hazards.

No business going out into neck deep water. 4' is plenty deep enough. The swells coming in will make it 5'-6'. And then you drop back down and touch bottom.

Very long gentle slope to MB beaches. Might be 30-50 yards out in water to hit 4' deep. Depending on weather and currents. Not unusual to find sand bar. Might be walking in 3' water and then back to 1' deep and you're 50 yards out.

Boys sound old enough not to get lost but.....Current usually runs south. Each time you ride a wave in you come in a few feet south of where you entered water. If boys are riding waves in front of you and not paying attention. Won't be long before they come out of water a ways down the beach. Just remind them of this so they'll keep track of where they are.

Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the ocean swimming like???

That was likely me who said swimming was not good compared to a swimming pool. My reference is swimming vs. wading. For wading and body surfing sure the ocean is fine. But for swimming that takes deeper water, and in the ocean that means going a fair ways out from the shore which can be dangerous.

So keep it in context please.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the ocean swimming like???

Thank you to all that responded! You were very helpful!! Now I feel assured that the boogie boarding and the riding and jumping waves will be perfect.

Vegashomeboy, I was only curious, and wanted to know what to expect; there was no reason for you to be so defensive and harsh, but I guess I should thank you also for your input.

Thanks again to everyone!

Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the ocean swimming like???

Harsh? Are you kidding?

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the ocean swimming like???

Sorry, maybe not harsh, but the last comment about 'keep it in context please' felt like being scolded. I shouldn't have 'reacted' with my response, so please accept my apology.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the ocean swimming like???

When we go to the beach in the summer we don't go for the pools. We go for the ocean. I'm like a big kid when it comes to "playing" in the ocean. A boogie board is a must also.

9. Re: What is the ocean swimming like???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 13:20