We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is 4th of July too busy?

pa
Level Contributor
567 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
is 4th of July too busy?

We are interested in visiting for the first time this summer and was wondering if 4th of July week is too busy or we should go another week of the summer? We are flexible with when we could go.....thanks!

pa
Level Contributor
567 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is 4th of July too busy?

Also, is traffic a big issue as well coming from PA on that particular week compared to the rest of the summer?

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is 4th of July too busy?

It's certainly one of the busiest weeks here. Traffic going and coming can be a real nightmare, regardless of where you are driving. Restaurants will be jam packed as well as the beach.

If you can pick another week I would.

pa
Level Contributor
567 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is 4th of July too busy?

What would be the best time during the summer to go where the crowds and traffic are more manageable? We would be staying at Marriot's Ocean Watch...thanks!

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is 4th of July too busy?

Prices generally go down by August 10 as do crowds. We always go sometime between 2nd and 4th weeks of August. Love the super warm ocean temps. Yes, there's always the possibility of a hurricane but that has never stopped us and we always have great beach weather. Even had a wedding the 2nd week of August and it was fantastic.

If you're really flexible then go right after Labor Day. Still fab temperatures and very few crowds. Everything is still open and you'll have the beach practically to yourself!

pa
Level Contributor
567 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is 4th of July too busy?

Thanks for the advice.....we got bit by Tropical Storm Hannah last August at Hilton Head (as well a jellyfish wrapping itself around my sons leg) and it wiped out 2 full days for us so we are a little nervous about August....still had a great time at Hilton Head by the way....

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is 4th of July too busy?

July 4th week is the busiest week of the year here so unless you like traffic, huge crowds at attractions and long waits at restaurants I would choose any other week.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is 4th of July too busy?

if you can go in June that first week has great rates. You just have to remember that you may be running into some Sr Week kids. Even the 2nd and 3rd weeks of June aren't bad. I'm a July person myself because of the temperature but we have to go in June this yr.

There are some really good deals going now.

The Caribbean, The Breakers, Coral Beach, Ocean Reef and several others.

Go to www.myrtlebeach.com and check rates at several places for different dates (and don't forget to call too to make sure you're getting the best deal) and see what you find.

Just remember there is alot to do and it's spread out (not bad but a car is a must [in case you were flying]).

Good luck and have fun whenever you get to go

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is 4th of July too busy?

I have read nightmares about July 4th traffic. The rest of July is busy, but not as bad as the 4th. I have done the week after with no issues at all. The key is when you arrive and depart MB. I suggest planning your trip to arrive early in the morning and depart early also.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is 4th of July too busy?

The busiest and most expensive (for accomodations) week of the year. Since you are flexible, I'd pick another week.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is 4th of July too busy?

We were there last year for the 4Th and didn't have a problem at all actually i was surprised. We arrived the Sat. before and stayed the week of. I think the longest we waited in a restaurant was 45 minutes but that happens here. The condo complex we stayed at was a smaller one in NMB and the beach wasn't any more crowded than usual. I think it all depends on your timing. We had a great time.