We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pawleys Island visit

New Jersey
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pawleys Island visit

Is Pawleys Island worth checking out if we are staying in MB? What to do? Thanks.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pawleys Island visit

There are lots of neat little shops in PI along Highway 17. On the island itself, there's not a lot going on other than beach houses.

I'm sure Pawleysdude will come along and give you more info--he's the expert!

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pawleys Island visit

Hey jerseygirl - It depends a lot on what you're looking for. PI is very non-commercial, as compared to downtown MB. You won't find mini-golf, not many night spots, and only a couple t-shirt stores. If you want to relax and escape some of the craziness, it's a great place to spend a day.

If you've never been to Brookgreen Gardens, you should not miss it, although you can spend a full day there. http://www.brookgreen.org/

The hammock shops are a unique venue for some very interesting shops, set among old live oaks. The original Pawleys Island Hammocks are sold here, and usually someone is around doing a live demo of how they're made. Roz's Rice Mill in the Hammock Shops is a great place to grab a casual lunch.

Save a little time to drive across the causeway to the resort island of Pawleys Island. It's primarily rental homes with a small number of permanent residents. No commercial activities at all except one B&B. The historical district has several old pre-civil war homes which were summer homes to the rice plantation owners.

If you're a history buff, get directions to All Saints church, which dates back to the mid 1700's. The cemetery, open to the public, includes graves of several signers of the Declaration of Independence, as well as James Dickey, former poet laureate of SC, along with Alice, whose ghost still roams parts of the lowcountry.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pawleys Island visit

Hey arbyunc - You've been staying quiet, haven't heard from you in awhile. Are you heading down anytime soon?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pawleys Island visit

Thanks. PI sounds great. Can't wait to check it out.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pawleys Island visit

PawleysDude, I haven't been down that way in a few months due to some other priorities. I hope to get down there soon, as I need to do a little light maintenance at our condo before the summer season.

I hope you're doing well. Maybe we could meet up sometime for a drink or two next time I'm down.

6. Re: Pawleys Island visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 08:23
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations