We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fire today

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Fire today

Is anyone in Myrtle Beach now? Can you update us on the fire?

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fire today

What is on fire?

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fire today

Very high winds today led to several fires in the vicinity. The largest is in the Hwy 90/Hwy 31 vicinity southwest of the Colonial Mall and north Tanger Outlets area near North MB. At one point, the fire had jumped Hwy 31, with some reports of fire on the property of the Grand Dunes members golf course, east of Hwy 31 and west of Hwy 17. Some homes around Hwy 90 had been damaged or destroyed and several residential areas have been evacuated. thesunnews.com/news/local/story/870781.html

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fire today

Driving in today, I could see smoke as far away as Aynor about 4PM. Still looks very smoky to the north at dusk tonight. Have not heard anything on the news about it yet. I am sure it will be on the news tonight and in the papers tomorrow.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fire today

I saw this on our local news out of Charlotte. It said that a golf course damaged badly. I don't remember what course it said though.

yo. oh
Level Contributor
307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fire today

Waterway Hills and Grande Dunes golf course were in trouble. From what I hear, all of Grande Dunes has been evacuated.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fire today

No smoke in the sky that I can see this AM just after sunrise, so it must be pretty well contained now.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fire today

No smoke in the sky that I can see this AM just after sunrise, so it must be pretty well contained now.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fire today

They had were talking about on Good Morning America this morning and had a short video clip of it.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fire today

Pawley's Dude posted this link, which provides up to date info on this fire. Many of the schools are closed and Barefoot residents were evacuated. Fires seem to be heaviest by the Barefoot resorts, not far from Barefoot Landing.

http://www.thesunnews.com/

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fire today

This morning driving to work Hwy 17 in NMB you had maybe 100' visibility if that much, heavy smoke and ash. Now as we approach lunch time, the wind much have changed directions-Ocean Blvd is pretty clear right now but as I look toward Barefoot I see some black smoke billowing and my husband just called who is sitting at House of Blues, so he can see what is going on, said it appears something just went up in smoke as the black smoke shot up in the air and 5 miles away I can see it also. The smell of smoke is everywhere, you can't get away from it. The poor people in Barefoot Resort have been hit hard, I do not think Grande Dunes suffered much if any damage, as was earlier reported.