We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pier Fishing in May

Virginia
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pier Fishing in May

We will be staying at the Sandy Beach Resort in MB. I know there is a pier near this resort, is it good for fishing??

What is the "best" fishing pier in MB? I have done a bit of salt water fishing in VA and NC, but never from a pier and not in SC. What do you catch off a pier in May in SC??

Virginia
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Pier Fishing in May

anyone??

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pier Fishing in May

There are several piers not too far away and I know that many people do fish off of them. I am terribly sorry I don't know what they catch, I have never been much in to fishing. I don't know what the "best" pier to fish from is but I will tell you the ones I hear the most about are the Springmaid pier and the Cherry Grove pier. You will be about 2 miles or so from Springmaid pier so check it out. The 2nd Ave pier will be even closer to you and I am sure it's worth a look too. There is also a pier at 14th Ave N so you'll have lots of nearby options.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, maybe a someone who likes to fish will chime in soon.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pier Fishing in May

Hey Brandon - Unfortunately, I'm not a pier fishermen either, and local media does a very disappointing job offering any helpful fishing reports. Springmaid and Garden City are both popular piers, but I suspect that has to do with location as much as anything else.

The only comments I've heard lately is that the small bluefish have moved in and are doing an excellent job of biting thru leaders. I'm posting a couple links below. The first one is as close to any reliable MB reports that you'll find. They update it weekly, I think. If you'll scroll down the page, there's a small section on surf/pier fishing.

scfishingreport.com/Pages/…grand_strand.html

http://www.secondavenuepier.com/fishing.html

Virginia
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pier Fishing in May

thanks for the replies.

Pawleys thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out. Glad to hear about the blues, they can be difficult to catch with their very sharp teeth, but hopefully I'll get some.

Virginia
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pier Fishing in May

Pawleys,

Are there any good spots in Murrells to fish from a public pier or any of the creeks back there?

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pier Fishing in May

Brandon - You've got a few options, depending upon how hard you want to work at it. Veteran's pier in Murrells Inlet is relatively new, and open for fishing. It's located beside Capt Dick's Marina, with a parking lot in front of it. I've seen quite a few folks fishing there, but the water gets awfully skinny at low tide.

If you drive further South to Pawleys Island and take the north causeway over to the island, the bridge on the causeway is a very popular spot, with decent catches. The bridge has wide shoulders on it, designed to accommodate fishermen.

Another popular spot on Pawleys Island is to drive to the north end of the island, then walk a short distance to the northern tip of the island. There's a wooden jetty on this small inlet, and can be a productive spot. There's a small dirt parking area near the north end. Try to park in this area, or at least COMPLETELY outside the white lines on the road. Otherwise, it's an expensive lesson (voice of experience).

The dedicated shore-based fishermen in this area usually go to the north beach of Huntington State Park and make the ~1.25mi hike down the beach to the Murrells Inlet jetties, leading out to the ocean. This is a large rock-based jetty with a paved walking area on top. Some serious fish are caught here but crawling on the rocks can be tricky, so be careful.

All of these spots will be more evident with a local map. As info, SC does not currently require a fishing license when fishing saltwater from shore. That changes July 1st, when licenses beome required. Most piers have a "blanket" license that covers anyone fishing on their pier. Good fishin'....

7. Re: Pier Fishing in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2009, 15:12
Virginia
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pier Fishing in May

Pawleys- thanks again for the info! Some of that sounds pretty good! Since I will be down there with my wife for the anniversary, I don't think I am going to be fishing much and when I do it will probably be to the more accessible places. But thanks for all the info. I'm also glad to hear I wouldn't need a license fishing form land (knew about he pier license thing).

Mook- thanks for the website, I'll check it out!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
226 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pier Fishing in May

Today in the Sun News our local paper in Myrtle Beach they reported the following fish were being caught off the Piers in Myrtle Beach. They were catching bluefish, whiting, pompano,flounder, and black drum. I usually do some fishing off the piers, but the one I enjoyed the most is located in Sunset Beach, which is quessing about 20 miles north of Myrtle Beach.

10. Re: Pier Fishing in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2009, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach