We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does rain mean?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Topic
What does rain mean?

When I look at the forecast for next week it says rain 3 or 4 days, what does that mean should we be planning indoor activities or does it only rain at night? How much rain does Myrtle Beach actually get?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What does rain mean?

I don't mean to sound snappy, but rain means the same that it does anywhere. It could rain for 30 minutes or all day. They best way to get a better idea is to go to weather.com and look up MB and see if they are calling for a 20% chance of rain (good chance you won't actually see any) or 80% chance (probably going to rain at least part of the day).

I have often noticed on local reports that at the beginning of the week they predict rain later in the week, but as they week goes on that forecast changes, often no longer including rain. So the closer it gets to the weekend, you may get a more accurate reading. :)

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What does rain mean?

It's very hard to accurately predict beach weather. You never know and yes it could have a chance of rain everyday and it means just afternoon showers. (that's usually the case in the HOT summer)

I would check the local weather and it WILL change as the days go. Just google myrtle beach's local news and check out the radar map.

Don't worry you'll have fun regardless! :)

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What does rain mean?

Any of our forecasts that involve tools other than looking out the window are notoriously inaccurate. The highest probability that http://www.weather.com is showing next week for MB is 40%. Actually, it's looking like our typical summer forecast, but a little early for that. To answer your question, it also rains during the daytime in MB, probably as often as it rains at night. At the beach in late Spring and Summer, it never hurts to have some back-up indoor activities planned. If it rains, you're prepared, if not, they will give your sunburn a little relief. <:-)

Year to date, MB is already 5" below the norm for rainfall,so perhaps you're the rain-angel we've all been dancin' for... Hope you have a great visit.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What does rain mean?

Summer time I wouldn't give weather reports a second thought. Showers come and go so fast they have little effect on beach time. More of a quick break to run in and grab a sandwich.

This early in season it is a gamble. Have been there and spent everyday on the beach getting burnt. Next spring trip it would be cooler and spent more time doing away from beach activites.

Either way is good. Beats cold weather and working..........We're heading down in two weeks.....Looking forward to whatever we get.

5. Re: What does rain mean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2009, 04:21