We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Common Sense check in's

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Topic
Common Sense check in's

One would think you would not have to tell Adults these things but apparently so.

1. Know which beach you are going to-Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach are 2 different cities. If you are programming your GPS, use correct zip code or you will end up 25 miles in the wrong direction.

2. WHY in the world would you drive 12 hours without your check in information. Like what rental agency you rented from-as THEY will have your keys. What time can you check in? IN the summer they mean 3pm not 9am. Don't get upset if your room is not ready first thing in the morning the day of your arrival. Getting huffy and an attitude could insure you don't check in until 5pm :o) ! Trust us, we want you in just as soon as we can get you in, good for you and for us!

3. AND what are the LATE ARRIVAL INSTRUCTIONS? Do not assume that the information will be posted for you at the rental agency-they will have a code to a lock box and certainly would not post it for all to see. Code # should be on your confirmation with check in instructions.

4. ALL of this info can be found on your confirmation, or by calling to confirm. IT IS NOT THE FAULT OF THE RENTAL AGENTS if you do not know what you are doing and go to the wrong agency or don't know the lock box code.

Thank you and have a nice stay!

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Common Sense check in's

great info Hart, I am sure you have to deal with some real idiots! I am in the medical field and just when you think you've heard it all guess what you haven't.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Common Sense check in's

I'm sooooo glad that I no longer work with the public. And here I was thinking the kids I work with are driving me nuts lolol

Good luk hart1 and hope you have a good summer

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Common Sense check in's

Already had 1 today checking in with wrong agency and does not understand why you don't have their check in packet! :o) Anytime you deal with public you always get some interesting characters! Just trying to be helpful, so someone's vacation does not get off on the wrong foot by not having their paperwork and not knowing where to go! Seen many families get in arguments about that, as you can imagine.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Common Sense check in's

Hart1 thank you so much for posting your suggestions. It's disturbing to read reviews when the "customer" is actually the one in the wrong, but blames the hotel/condo for all his/her ills.

In reading the reviews it amazes me some of the blame being put on the wrong folks.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Common Sense check in's

Its just human nature. They are mad or upset and not willing to admit their error, so they take it out on whoever is in front of them.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Common Sense check in's

lol I can soooo remember the days, it's amazing how some people function on a daily basis lol. Really makes you wonder sometimes and so grateful for all the others that even at least kinda know what they are doing.

Like I said have a GREAT SUMMER!!!!

We only get 1 week there this yr and it's in June sooooo. Hopefully we will have really warm weather since I am such a wimp.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Common Sense check in's

hart, better you than me....if I was in your shoes, and I had someone flipping out on me because their room was not ready 6 hours before check-in time, my reaction would probably land me in the unemployment line!

I remember reading a very negative hotel review on here from a guest that otherwise had a great stay, but was miffed that her request for a late check-out was denied. "I've stayed here often, I guess they don't want my business..." she moaned. What a selfish, childish attitude! What is the matter with people?! Glad I don't work at a hotel!!!

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Common Sense check in's

People expect too much from people and let's face it, you are taught the customer is always right and I know for a fact sometimes they are not but you cannot tell some of them that or they go off on you. I try to be as understanding as I can be when I go to a hotel or condo. I know everything cannot be perfect.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,714 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Common Sense check in's

All travelers should know the carry with them print-outs of their reservation and check-in information.

Even when the traveler is right - in the right place and at the right time - screw ups can occur. Unless you have proof of your arrangements, check-in staff have no way to help you if a computer glitch or an human omission have messed up your record.

Several years ago my family of four flew to Florida for a weeks vacation in a small hotel only to find that the check in staff had no record of our reservation. Fortunately, I always carry my correspondence, so I could demonstrate that that I was "in the right". Finding available rooms and checking in was a hassle; but, in the end, we had an excellent vacation.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Common Sense check in's

hart1 said "What time can you check in? IN the summer they mean 3pm not 9am. Don't get upset if your room is not ready first thing in the morning the day of your arrival. Getting huffy and an attitude could insure you don't check in until 5pm :o) ! Trust us, we want you in just as soon as we can get you in, good for you and for us!"

Amen, this is my biggest pet peeve about working in a hotel. I get so frustrated hearing about how a guest has been driving all night, and after all when they booked online they requested an early check in. You can request a gold plated toilet but that doesn't mean you will get it. No one told you to drive all night to arrive at 8am, several hours before your room has even been vacated by the previous guest. Or that they just went to the store and have $300 worth of ice cream and other frozen foods in their trunk so they must get into their room right away; or that they have 3 newborn infants who must lay down for a nap right now. Or they have elderly relatives with medical conditions who must get in the room now!

And of course these are the same people who want to check out several hours late as well not caring that the person waiting to get in their room is already here with all their groceries, infants and elderly at that very moment LOL