We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trusting the weather-men..

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Meredith05
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trusting the weather-men..

I never really use weather.com or accuweather.com, unless I have a big event around the corner that I'm excited about. We leave in 6 days and it's calling for scattered thunderstorms the first two full days (13, 14th) we're there.

I'd guess that as the week goes on the weather forecast will most likely change. My question is, when do you actually start to rely on the weather forecastfor accuracy? A day or two in advance? Thanks. ;)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trusting the weather-men..

Especially with afternoon storms you're right. But even then you never really know. For an overall picture you would be wise to check 24 hours in advance. The major fronts they can tell a week in advance, but for afternoon storms it's much harder to predict. Heck, and check for yourself, ask for more than a week out and depending on the time of year it's pretty much the same - partly cloudy with a chance of afternoon showers.

BTW, we normally check with weatherforyou.com

However, they're all pretty much the same.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trusting the weather-men..

Sometimes the weather reports make it look like the weather is horrible when only a short shower moves in.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trusting the weather-men..

You should probably pay close attention to the weather about a day or two in advance to be sure of the weather.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trusting the weather-men..

Unless it's something BIG don't expect too much from any weather source. Scattered showers to thunderstorms are the norm. They move in they move out, some last a few minutes some may last a morning, afternoon or evening usually nothing that will make tooo much of a difference in your vacation

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trusting the weather-men..

Scattred storms are normal as mentioned. They never last long. When they are gone the sun is back out and it is hot and humid. If they are calling for a 30% chance then yeah, it will rain there somewhere but it is just a 30% chance it is at your location. These showers leave as quick as they pop up.

6. Re: Trusting the weather-men..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2009, 07:28