We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphins and Schools of Fish

Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dolphins and Schools of Fish

Well I was lucky last trip. On Monday May 11th it was overcast calm seas with some rain in the area. So the wife and I hung out on the hotel balcony and enjoyed breakfast that morning. While eating we seen a huge school of Dolphins pass just off shore going from south to north from Hilton Myrtle Beach resort. There must have been at least a hundred of them. We were on the 12th floor and since the water was clear and calm we could clearly see them just beneath the water surface and of coarse seen them break the surface with their dorsal fin.

Well if that was no enough, about 7 that evening we happen to be back in the room and seen what we think was the same school again going the other way. It was high tide and they were very close to the beach. Even the few beach swimmers seen them and rushed out to greet them, but the dolphins just moved further out.

Anyway to top things off we noticed the water boiling and churning in a couple of places right up on shore about the same time we seen the dolphins. They were huge schools of pretty good sized fish running smaller bait fish right up to the shore line. Could not tell what kind they were, but fairly good size and thousands of them. You could have caught them with your hands.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
467 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphins and Schools of Fish

That sounds really cool. I notice you are a frequent user of this site. How many times a year do you usually go to MB? I really, really love MB. Last year I went 3 times. I plan on going 2 times this summer.

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphins and Schools of Fish

We were fortunate to see the dolphins in February-also in front of the HIlton. They were so close to the shoreline! Must be something about that area they love!

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphins and Schools of Fish

That is so cool, I hope were lucky enough to see some too. I thought of doing the dolphin cruise but if we could see them like that it would be even better.

Fulton, MS
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphins and Schools of Fish

Oh my gosh, my girls would die, they are dolphin crazy. Everyone wants to know what is the "one thing" not to miss in Myrtle Beach, you hit it on a head. ENJOY THE OCEAN!!!! And maybe get as lucky as you to see some wonderful things of nature.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphins and Schools of Fish

Basketscrapper said:

"I notice you are a frequent user of this site."

I use to be the Local Expert (now called Destination Expert) for the Las Vegas forum for a few years but gave it up as TA does not have much of a since of humor and that forum is full of wannabes from other countries and states that TA made DE's. It is just not fun or interesting anymore. I managed Monte Carlo in Vegas as my second career for 6 years. Retired again and now starting my third career as a PGA teaching instructor, and still dabble in my first biz of engineering that my Son now operates my old biz and have since left Las Vegas back to where my Mother raised us kids and my kids live in Tulsa OK.

Anyway I have been a visitor to MB for about 25 years or so. I am a PGA member so I like to go there and play golf, its free most of the time. Only been there around 14 or 15 times I guess. Lost count really.

Mentioned in this post
Tulsa
Tulsa
Oklahoma
Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphins and Schools of Fish

A FYI: If you see a school of fish swimming and jumping in the water then don't go in after it. There is usualy something bigger folowing them such as dolphins or even sharks.

Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphins and Schools of Fish

"If you see a school of fish swimming and jumping in the water then don't go in after it. There is usually something bigger following them such as dolphins or even sharks."

That is what we thought at first when we seen the fish swarming the shore line, but the water was extremely clear and calm and we could clearly see the fish and any predators if they were there. We thought at first it might be the dolphins running them up there as they were very close as they swam bu, within 10 yards or so by. But that school of fish was there for at least 30 minutes after the dolphins had passed, and after looking with the binoculars we could tell they were feeding on something. What kind of fish and what they were feeding on are unknown. What I though was strange or pretty cool is they would literally come onto shore with the breaking surf and ride it back in. That is what made me think at first they were running from a predator. However they were not jumping up out of the water like I see otherwise when trying to escape attack.

I did find it kind of strange though that evening when what few beach lovers were on the beach rushed into the water when they finally noticed the dolphins swimming by. I mean heck it could have been sharks, but I am pretty sure it was dolphins. I would not have done that anyway.

8. Re: Dolphins and Schools of Fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2009, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach