We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is th edeal with the news paper

georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What is th edeal with the news paper

What is the problem with the ocean water that you can't get in it. Bacteria level or some crap.. how the heck does that happen?

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is th edeal with the news paper

Heavy rains cause rain water, hence bacteria, to drain into the ocean from the "swashes" or drains that I am sure you see when are on the beach. Those drains are from the streets, so heavy rain goes into the drain and out into the ocean. It is a problem.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is th edeal with the news paper

Couple tide cycles after a heavy rain should clear up the problem.

Alabama
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is th edeal with the news paper

So, next week we can't get in the ocean? That's gonna suck.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is th edeal with the news paper

Just talk to life guard and ask if there are any advisories.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is th edeal with the news paper

Who said you can't get in the ocean?

Typically if there is a bacteria issue it will only be near a swash and it would only be for a day at the most. I can't think of any circumstance where they would decide to close the entire beach a week in advance. I saw people on the beach today

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is th edeal with the news paper

Just pulled up MB Online. That's the local Sun News on the internet.

I saw no mention of beach closings or bacteria warnings.

In 50 years of beach trips I have seen the beach closed once and that was last year. Hurricane in FL was causing high winds and rough surf conditions all along the coast.

Beach trips....You're dealing with Mother Nature. Make the best of what she gives ya........

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is th edeal with the news paper

there are beach closing and not just hurricane time. Heavy rains cause problems in several areas of the Grand Strand. You can imagine the city is not going to broadcast that info very much. But it does happen. I would not cancel your trip and I would not worry this week about something in the future. Your life guard if there is one will give you the info you need.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is th edeal with the news paper

As others have said, I wouldn't worry too much. There should be signs posted on the beach if there is a problem. We've only had that happen once in all the years of vacations. The sign can go up one day & down the next.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is th edeal with the news paper

We did have it happen a couple years ago, but like was said it was one day or really afternoon then the next day was fine.

Last year was more of a problem our second trip in Aug. We lost a day due to jelly fish. The beach was closed for a day. They were the worst I've seen or even heard about them since I was a child and we aren't going into how long thats been lol

I worry about things but mine is more like will it be warm enough so don't panic. It shouldn't be a major deal. I was asking about it a day or so ago just to get some info and it doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Keep your plans

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is th edeal with the news paper

>>> So, next week we can't get in the ocean? That's gonna suck.

Where did you hear/read this ? Blatantly false.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach