We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
High Humidity & Bugs

We are leaving for Myrtle in 7 days and I am just looking at the weather forcast for June 12 - 20. Does high humidity bring out the bugs???? Any information or recommendations are welcome.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Humidity & Bugs

I have never noted a correlation between humidity and bugs in MB. The wind blows almost constantly at the beach so that helps keep down mosquitoes. Read in the local newspaper that there have been more incidences of bed bugs. Even very clean places can get those, so it is best to inspect closely to help prevent itchy bites. Not a widespread problem, but someone thought it was worth mentioning in the newspaper.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Humidity & Bugs

In all the years we've been going to Myrtle we've never had any problems with bugs. Having said that, however, last week when we were there we spoke to a woman who said she had a big problem with bugs last year when she was staying at Lands End in North Myrtle Beach.. which we always liked a lot from the outside, but I think the reason she may have had a problem with bugs is because Lands End is right next to a nature preserve.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: High Humidity & Bugs

most places have pest control on a somewhat regular basis, but this is the south-

canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Humidity & Bugs

Ok so I will pack the bug spray just in case - but just as a point of interest to nanajayne's post - what does a bed bug look like and how do you check for them?

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Humidity & Bugs

Bedbugs are very tiny insects, similar to "chiggers" here in the south. A bite may produce a tiny spot of blood and will be very itchy later. Look at seams in upholstery and bedding for very tiny little black specks. If present, may be the critters droppings.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High Humidity & Bugs

I think bedbugs would be the only thing to watch for. I have never encountered bugs in Myrtle Beach of any kind so for the most part you should be in good shape. Bed Bugs shouldn't be an issue but just check your bedding. Most resorts do a excellent job at pest control but remember they can't keep every bug out.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High Humidity & Bugs

In all of our years of going we have never really had an issue of BUGS. I don't remember any in a room anywhere that we have stayed. As far as outside I just can't really remember any incidents.

8. Re: High Humidity & Bugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2009, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations