We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish?

jc tenn
Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jellyfish?

Our friends just returned from Seabrook Island (a bit south), where both young boys were stung by jellyfish. They spent the remainder of the week not going in the water.

Are jellyfish common in this area? I grew up in Miami, and never encountered a jellyfish, or knew anyone to be stung.

KC

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
817 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish?

Jellyfish are common in the Ocean just like any other sea creature. In MB during my 6 visits, I have spotted about 3 that were washed up on the beach and about 4 that I have seen in the ocean. The key is to be aware of your surroundings when in the water. If you see one it is best to either get out of the ocean or go to a location far away from it. Jellyfish do no swim or go after you, they ride the surf when that far in and in most cases people run into them and get stung. I have seen people get stung and be back in the water a few hours later with no issue. Now, I have seen at times warnings from the Life Guards regarding sea life. Sometimes you have more Jellyfish in the water than others.

My point, I would not worry too much about it and let it ruin your vacation. You will see a ton of people playing in the ocean and riding the surf with no problems.

indiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish?

While vacationing in Cabo I was stung by a small jellyfish,they had me soak a napkin in regular table vinegar and hold it on the sting ,and after about 10 minutes the stinging was gone and I was back in the water. Just thought this may help,anyone else have "remedies"

jc tenn
Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish?

The grandson of my mother's friend was stung last summer off of St. George Island, FL. He nearly died - it seems he was allergic (and didn't know it). He was 7-8 years old - it was a scary event.

KC

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish?

we were in MB 3rd week of July last year and there were alot of Jellyfish and aquatic warnings almost every day. Then we were back the first week of Aug and the beach was closed 1 day for Jellyfish while we were there and you could just sit on the beach and see them. My daughters friend was stung on the leg and a little girl about 4 was stung on both arms and legs and taken to the hospital. Thank goodness we were there for a softball tourny and didn't have to be disappointed about not being in the ocean anymore than we were

Grew up going to Wrightsville Beach, and remember having jelly fish there tooo but only from time to time

Huntersville, North...
Destination Expert
for Huntersville
Level Contributor
577 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish?

I know there will be mixed reviews on this subject, but in 34 years of vacationing in NMB I've seen a few, but never been stung or known anyone stung.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish?

40+ years of coming to Myrtle Beach, and I've never had problems with Jellyfish... until two years ago.

Now, I'm certainly not saying that we had a MAJOR problem. We had a marvelous visit, but one day there were nearly a dozen jellyfish washed up on shore. We noticed that there were many in the water. I had never seen them before in the water, but there they were. My son got stung.

We asked a lifeguard, and she said there had been a storm out at sea, and sometimes that washes them up. It is NOT a common occurrence that they are so bad that you have to get out of the water. But occasionally, they come in to shore.

Two interesting notes: #1 The lifeguard used Windex on my son's sting. She said that the ammonia in Windex kills the sting. She also said that the second-best cure is vinegar.

#2 She recommended "jellyfish-proof" suntan lotion. We bought some. None of us has been stung since. Of course, none of us had been stung before, so maybe it is just a coincidence. BUT, it is the only thing that gave my son the confidence to get back in the water last year. You can check out their website for yourself:

http://www.buysafesea.com/index.php

Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish?

I was in NMB for the 4th and got stung in the rear-end. After an hour the sting started to go away. A friend saw a jellyfish warning in her elevator. Is July a bad time for these creatures?

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish?

Just obey any aquatic warning the lifeguards have displayed for jellies. If they say stay out of the water then stay out. Otherwise don't worry about it. It's kind of like driving- every day people have accidents and some die but millions have safe trips. If you have snow and ice and the authorities say to stay off the roads then stay off and be safe. In over 40 years of going to MB our family has had only 1 serious and very painful sting- and I was the recipient. But it didn't keep me out of the water!

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish?

The are rare. I can usualy go a entire week with seeing maybe 5. I came down one year out of the last 30 and there were thousands it seemed to be washed up on the shore. Don't worry but obey the signs as mentioned.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish?

My sister got stung last year sitting in her beach chair reading a book. As the waves washed over her one stung her in the back of her leg.