We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canoe rentals?

jc tenn
Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Canoe rentals?

Any place to rent canoes to go thru the marshy areas? DH says we may be able to fit all four of us in one, but I suspect we'll have to go one adult and one kid each. I know DD won't paddle much, though...

KC

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canoe rentals?

Try these guys: http://www.blackriveroutdoors.com/

My daughter and I did the Murrell's Inlet moonlight kayak tour last year, and it was lots of fun...highly recommended!

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canoe rentals?

^^ What Arby said. Black River Outdoors are fine folks and they do an outstanding job. Go for two tandem kayaks. They're very stable, easier to navigate in the marsh, and easier to paddle than a canoe.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canoe rentals?

Pawleysdude, your post reminded me that it was your recommendation that steered me to Black River outfitters--thanks! I went back and dug up the old thread--there's some good info there for anyone thinking about an excursion:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g54359-i25-k217691…

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canoe rentals?

Hey Arby - Glad you enjoyed it. I've never done their moonlight tour. I need to put it on the list for the next time we have company. For some different scenery, they also do a nice tour of the Black River, a beautiful lowcountry river. But I think you mentioned you've spent time on Eastern NC rivers. If so, I'm sure the Black would look familiar.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canoe rentals?

Agree with PawleysDude, two tandem yaks with one adult & one kid in each (kids in front seat). I'd also suggest going with a group.

A word of caution: Get singles if it's just you & DH going out. On more than one outing, I have witnessed happily married couples paddling a tandem that were barely speaking to one another by the end of the trip! (You have to be able to synchronize your paddling strokes & learn how to work in unison to steer....easier said than done!)

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canoe rentals?

Thus the reason tandem kayaks are often referred to by their other name: "divorce boats" <:-))

7. Re: Canoe rentals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2009, 05:42