We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Umbrella and Chair Rental at Myrtle Beach

3 posts
Save Topic
Umbrella and Chair Rental at Myrtle Beach

I would like to rent a beach umbrella and chairs at Myrtle Beach. I understand the life guards rent them. I am looking for a website or phone number where I can call ahead to rent them. Years ago when we visited we could not rent any as they were all taken. I would like to set this up ahead of time.

Can anyone share the website or phone number to rent ahead of time?

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Umbrella and Chair Rental at Myrtle Beach

I don't know if you can rent ahead. If you cannot find a number then when you arrive on a Saturday go straight down their before you check in and try to get one.

jc tenn
Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Umbrella and Chair Rental at Myrtle Beach

Here's the website for the Surfside lifeguards that handle rentals. They could probably give you the info on MB:

beachservicesltd.com/index_files/Page469.htm

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Umbrella and Chair Rental at Myrtle Beach

If staying in Myrtle Beach:

www.lacksbeachlifeguards.com/index.html

Boston
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Umbrella and Chair Rental at Myrtle Beach

I went to Walmart and bought 2 beach umbrellas and 2 beach chairs for about $25. We gave them away when we were leaving.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Umbrella and Chair Rental at Myrtle Beach

Thank you. That information has been helpful. I phoned Lack's Beach service and although they do not service the place we are staying (The Yachtsman), he gave me the phone number for John's Beach Service which does. http://www.jbsmblifeguard.com

John's Beach Service said they do not rent ahead of time, but they guarentee to have equipment available. An umbrella and two chairs runs about $30 per day or for 6 days it is about $125.

Virginia
Level Contributor
8 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Umbrella and Chair Rental at Myrtle Beach

Why pay $30 per day to rent (the price I was quoted last week on the beach) when you can buy & even give the items away with less of a loss. I paid $10 for a nice lightweight umbrella with a carrying case at Dick's sporting goods at the mall in MB. I saw advertisements at surf shops for less than that. Chairs are cheap & often lightweight, too!!! I think people should boycott umbrella rentals- what a ripoff!

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Umbrella and Chair Rental at Myrtle Beach

I have to agree. We are now back from vacation and I did rent the lifeguard umbrellas. In hind site it was a mistake. With the economy as it is, the beach was not crowded.

There is a city rule that umbrellas not rented through the life guard must be positioned behind the row of life guard umbrellas. I feared our view would be blocked, but actually there was space between each lifeguard umbrella that allowed an opening to view the ocean.

Also, the life guard umbrellas are only up 9-5pm which was a downer.

Some of the life guard companys positioned their umbrella row much closer to the ocean, than the company handling the umbrellas at our hotel. I wished it would have been closer to the ocean.

And, the chairs were old and not at all comfortable. The umbrella was quality and very heavy canvas more so than store bought.

So, I agree I wasted my money. On the bright side, I suppose I helped the college student life guard. Also note, tips for tuition is encouraged when renting from the lifeguards.

Don't make my mistake...go to Walmart.

michigan
Level Contributor
355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Umbrella and Chair Rental at Myrtle Beach

Not only are they a rip-off, where we were staying at the Baywatch in NMB, they set up the chairs and umbrellas right along the prime spots, just behind the high tide line. They did this fairly early in the morning, forcing you to get out early to get a decent spot on the beach. They should not be allowed to place chairs until they are rented, they acted like they owned the beach.

9. Re: Umbrella and Chair Rental at Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 05:16