We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it worth taking Rt 22 (Conway Bypass)

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
is it worth taking Rt 22 (Conway Bypass)

We are staying at MB State Park south of 501. I've heard stories of total gridlock on 501 heading into MB on a Saturday afternoon. Would taking the Conway Bypass to Rt. 31 (Carolina Bays pkwy) be worthwhile. It's adding 15 - 20 miles onto the trip, but I'd rather be moving then sitting still in traffic.

We are coming south on i-95 from Baltimore.

Thanks.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,193 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it worth taking Rt 22 (Conway Bypass)

YES!!

Like you said, I'd rather be moving than sitting.

It will probably be much shorter time-wise too.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is it worth taking Rt 22 (Conway Bypass)

YES it is worth it

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it worth taking Rt 22 (Conway Bypass)

If you arrive before 12 then no it aint worth it. If you arrive after then yes. We came down the 11th and got there about 11:30 and no backups. Take 501 to 544 and this will put you about three minuntes from the state park once you get there.

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it worth taking Rt 22 (Conway Bypass)

I take the bypass during the day and stay on 501 at night

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it worth taking Rt 22 (Conway Bypass)

I agree with cbr quest. In more than 50 trips to MB we have no problem going through Conway on 501 and then on 544 which dead ends into S Kings Hwy directly in front of Ocean Lakes Campground. The only problem was during construction on 544, no problem since. Now if you enjoy riding a little further, take 22 to 31 and then south to 544. Just a little more mileage but I do not think quicker.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: is it worth taking Rt 22 (Conway Bypass)

Sorry but driving thru Conway and all the stop lights is not my idea of fun, I am an interstate person.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it worth taking Rt 22 (Conway Bypass)

But when they take 22 that will bring them out somewhere near the northern end of Myrtle Beach if not north myrtle Beach. So you are going to hit the red lights in Conway or hit them going down 17. So I would rather hit them on the way then go out of the way and still hit the red lights.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,193 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is it worth taking Rt 22 (Conway Bypass)

they would take 31 from 22.....no red lights on 31.

maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: is it worth taking Rt 22 (Conway Bypass)

thanks for all of the replies...

I've been trying different routes on google maps and believe it or not it's just about the same distance if I take i-40 up in NC down to Wilmington and then take Rt 17 into North Myrtle beach to Rt 9. and then pick up 31 and miss all of the traffic lights through North MB and MB. I've been on I-40 before when we stayed at Sunset Beach in NC. That is a great road with no traffic. Much nicer than i-95. I may give that a try as well and would avoid the entire Rt 501.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it worth taking Rt 22 (Conway Bypass)

Variation of your I 40 route I learned from a person in Baltimore/Annapolis area.

Wilson NC. Hop off I 95 onto I 795. Down to Goldsboro where it becomes RT 117. Runs you down to I 40. Cuts off several miles.

We used that route one time from Gettysburg to Garden City and made the trip in 8 hours.

We also used a small wrinkle he found. Few miles south of Gristletown on RT 17 you will see Brunswick Golf Club on the right. Just past golf club RT 17 veers left. Side road veers off to the right.

Look at it on Google map. It runs straight shot over to RT 9. Bypasses all the stoplights and traffic through Little River Drops you off less than a mile from RT 31.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations