We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to MB...OceanFront vs. Oceanview

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bluefield, VA
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip to MB...OceanFront vs. Oceanview

My wife and I are planning a week trip to MB at the end of September. This will be my first beach trip, and only her 2nd in 30 years. We will be on a very limited budget and can save some cash by staying ocean view and not ocean front.

Whats the consensus here ? OV or OF ?...

and...

If your answser is OV, how good is the view, and can you still hear the ocean really good at night ?

Thanks for helpin a newbie !!!

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to MB...OceanFront vs. Oceanview

In September, the rates drop considerably so Oceanfront gets my vote. Depending on the configuration of the hotel, OceanView may be a glimpse of the beach if you crane your head outside the balcony.... with the view being between 2 high rises. If the resort is oceanfront, you'll still hear the ocean, but it may be reflected by neighboring resorts and their "noise".

If you get oceanfront, you are almost assured an expansive view of the rolling waves directly out from your balcony while you sip your morning coffee or enjoy a happy-hour cocktail.... Nothing better.

Just my 2 cents.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to MB...OceanFront vs. Oceanview

You definitely want to go for the oceanfront room and it will be much cheaper in September. Ocean view is very loosely interpreted by hotels so the view is going to vary, but it's usually not very good at all. Personally, seeing and hearing the ocean are two of the biggest reasons I go to the beach. There's nothing better than being able to sit on your balcony - with coffee in the morning or relaxing in the evening - staring at and listening to the amazing ocean. Hope you have a great trip!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to MB...OceanFront vs. Oceanview

My feeling has always been I'm driving hours to get there and I'm not going to stop a few feet short and stay in an ocean view room. I'll find something I can afford in ocean front to do it.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to MB...OceanFront vs. Oceanview

There is one other side to this discussion.If you get an oceanview that is high up and unobstructed it is better than oceanfront.Oceanfront at night your basically staring out at darkness while a good oceanview allows you to look down the coastline and observe roads and people and still see the ocean.

A couple great oceanview rooms are Dunes Village South tower which allows you to see miles down the coastline.Carribean's North tower has no high rises in sight for miles looking North.Also Forest Dunes from the 12th floor on up to the 18th not only has great balcony views but floor to ceiling windows in the living room and ocean views from every bedroom.

But bottom line is you have to know what your getting.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to MB...OceanFront vs. Oceanview

Ocean front for sure. Here there are alot of large hotels and if your on the side of one all you can see is the side of the next one. If there was nothing next to you then you would have a view of the ocean but instead you just get a view of another hotel and parking lot. Also beware of ANGLE ocean front, that's another nicer way of saying ocean view. These rooms are on the side of the hotel but the balcony is angled toward the ocean. It is still an ocean view. Unless you were to have the first room towards the front i wouldn't even consider it. These rooms are closer to the ocean and would have a less blocked view.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to MB...OceanFront vs. Oceanview

I'm oceanfront all the way. I would cut back on almost anything, meals, entertainment, etc. but not oceanfront. Oceanview can mean a great, angled-"almost oceanfront" or it can be just a window. If you go with o/v, ask specific questions to make sure there are no surprises.

One other caution, check hotels websites for layout & how close the next door hotels will be. Some hotels are close together & you will not only get an oceanview but a view of your neighbors.

There is no better time to get a great price for an oceanfront (or oceanview) room than September.

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
840 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip to MB...OceanFront vs. Oceanview

Oh very definitely ocean front. There is nothing better than sitting on your balcony and being able to look out at the beach/ocean and take in the scene and the ocean breeze. Very definitely worth the extra money. The only time I've ever not stayed oceanfront was when camping.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip to MB...OceanFront vs. Oceanview

Absolutely go with oceanfront, even if you have to pay a little extra. It's nice to be able to sit out on a balcony and just enjoy the view without seeing other condos/hotels/etc.

Totowa, NJ
Level Contributor
204 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip to MB...OceanFront vs. Oceanview

Save the money and do Ocean View.It is a dirty ocean you are looking at. After all it is Myrtle Beach. A place and ocean you really can not brag about as far as looks.

N. GA
Level Contributor
475 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st trip to MB...OceanFront vs. Oceanview

Forest Dunes is in northern MB. YOu can get an oceanfront one bedroom unit for less than many other places. It is in the cabana section, so even though the beach is across a small, 2 lane road, there is nothing blocking your view. We were on the 11th floor and had a wonderful view and loved the sound of the crashing waves. The balcony was wide and ran the length of the unit, with sliding glass doors in the living room and bedroom. I highly recommend it!