We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with choosing kid's activities please.

Pennsylvania
7 posts
Save Topic
Help with choosing kid's activities please.

We are visiting Myrtle Beach next week for the first time. We will have two boys 9 and 11 with us and we are staying at Dunes Village. I am considering visiting Alligator Adventure, Medieval Times, and Freestyle Park. Do you think these are good for their ages, and do you have any other suggestions?

Also, between Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington Beach which would you choose?

Thanks very much!

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
896 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with choosing kid's activities please.

From where you are staying, MB State Park will be closer. I know that MB State Park has frequent activities throughout the day. You can check the calender for what is happening on the day you plan to visit. I would also suggest you take them to Broadway at the Beach - lots to do there, both for the kids and adults. You might also try putt-putt, which we call miniature golf in this area. Last year we took our kids to Wild Water and Wheels. It is less crowded than Myrtle Waves, so the kids do not have to wait in lines for the waterslides. It is in Surfside - they have a website you can look up. We will also be in MB next week. Hope you all have fun.

Myrtle Beach, SC
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with choosing kid's activities please.

I do think those are good activities to do for their ages. I agree with the poster above me as well about going to Broadway @ the Beach while you are in town, since there is quite a bit to do there as well.

It really all depends on your time and money situation. If you do a lot... it can be pretty pricey, but some people are fine with that if they save for their vacation.

Medieval Times is a great dinner show and only takes a few hours during the evening and weather doesn't matter. Alligator Adventure is mostly outdoors with a few indoor exhibits, and FreeStyle Park is in my opinion... okay... has one great roller coaster and some kiddie rides, definitely look for specials before paying full price.

Have fun!!!

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with choosing kid's activities please.

Mini-golf... some great courses on the Grand Strand ! Just drive up and down Rte 17 and you'll pass by a dozen in the first few miles.

You'll find dollar-off coupons in the various "Monster" books at the hotel, grocery stores, etc. Typical round is 7 or 8 dollars per person.

Also 2 great water parks in the area, do a forum search for Myrtle Waves and Wild Water. They were just discussed in depth.

Enjoy !

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with choosing kid's activities please.

Both Family Kingdom Water Park and Family Kingdom Amusement Park have plenty to satisfy kids that age and for a reasonable price. You can get a combo armband for both so you could go to the water park during the day and come back and go to the amusement park after dinner. The water park is the areas only oceanfront water park. http://www.family-kingdom.com/

Medieval Times is great too and I highly recommend it. If you go I would suggest buying your tickets in advance from their web site to get one of their special offers and to avoid standing in line to buy tickets at the show. If you want to spend the money on a royalty package it adds a little to the fun and gets you seating in the first few rows. If you don't want tp spend the money on the royalty package the seating is assigned on a first come bassis so go early and ask for seating down low and near the center of the sides. There are no bad seats though (but I don't like the very front row).

Freestyle Music Park would be okay if you could get a ticket deal like they have been offering recently. The deal has been 2 people for $20 before 4pm and $20ea after 4pm but they may change.

Alligator Adventure- okay if you've never been to anything like that before. If you have then I would skip it.

The saltwater marsh explorer trip at Capt. Dick's Marina in Murrell's Inlet is fun and educational for adults and kids alike. http://www.captdicks.com/exp.htm

Minature golf seems like it's on every block in town and beyond. There are very elaborate and themed courses so the kids can pick what interests them. It's cheaper to play during the day and it's much less crowded but it can also be very hot. I find standing in a line that runs all the way through the course to be too much so we tough it out and play during the day. Cancun Lagoon is the one course that I know of that is about half inside with A/C and the other half is outside so you can at least be comfortable part of the time. www.moltenmountaingolf.com/cancunlagoon.html

You might consider going to one of the fishing piers and letting the boys watch the fishing and see if anything is being caught. The 2nd Ave pier only charges $1.00 per person to walk out and observe. Cost to let the boys fish with rented tackle, bait and permits runs about $25ea per day plus aditional bait beyond what they originaly provide or additional tackle due to getting hung and loosing your hooks or weight. The pier also has a fireworks show on Wednesday nights (during peak season) at 10pm that you can watch from the beach or from one of the area hotel balconies. http://www.secondavenuepier.com/

For the same cost to the kids as pier fishing (plus the adult tickets) you could take them out for the 1/2 day (4-1/2 hr) sea bass trip at Capt. Dick's. It's much better than pier fishing and they will surely catch more and slightly larger fish. They provide all the tackle and all the bait you'll need for the entire trip at no additional cost. The mates are very helpful and will assist you in removing your fish from the hook. Unless you want to clean your fish or pay someone to do it for you I suggest you give your catch to someone else on the boat that would want them. The boats have cabins with nice seats, A/C and snacks and drinks. Be sure to take a few old rag hand towels (not hotel towels) with you to wipe your hands on. http://www.captdicks.com/dsfish.htm

A fishing trip we have really enjoyed the most is the near shore/inlet trips we have taken. It's a private charter for up to 6 people and the captains we have had have been great. You can do 3 or 4 hours depending on what you want to pay for and your very likely to catch bigger and better fish than on the sea bass trip. Plus you're not on a boat packed with strangers and constantly having someone on the other side of the boat snagging your line. Overall it's just a much better experience. Again bring rag towels. http://www.captdicks.com/specfish.htm

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
226 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with choosing kid's activities please.

Great choices, both state parks are great to visit. I would recommend visiting both of them.

Pennsylvania
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with choosing kid's activities please.

Thanks for all all the great suggestions!

Bethel Park...
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with choosing kid's activities please.

We are also staying at Dunes Village next week with 6 and 9 year old girl. We are planning to do the Captain Dicks salt marsh tours (Wed and Thurs at 9:30 is when it is offered) and the Freestyle Park.

Myrtle Beach and Huntington beach both offer free kids programs - southcarolinaparks.com/files/State%20Parks/H…

southcarolinaparks.com/files/…MB_Summer09.pdf

We are going to hit huntington beach on tuesday and do the beachcombing and salt marsh seining.

Broadway on the beach has ticket packages that are good if you buy them online that are good for five attractions.

Maybe we will see you there!

New Jersey
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with choosing kid's activities please.

I just wanted to post and say how much the feedback from "Coastermeister" has helped us! We will be visiting MB next week for the 1st time and were wondering what to do with the kids. I have a 9 year old daughter and an 11 year old son. I went to the links provided in the comments and we have began planning activities during our stay. We will be staying at Island Vista and was even able to map out how far each activity is from the resort.

I just learned about tripadvisor this year and I can't tell you how much it has helped us! It's great to get feedback from real people as oppose to going by website photos/descriptions. Can't wait for vacation! Thanks so much!!

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
270 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with choosing kid's activities please.

Don't forget to see the Aquarium at Broadway on the Beach

…ripleyaquariums.com/your-visit/welcome/

I think your kids will love it!!!

Pennsylvania
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with choosing kid's activities please.

What about Magiquest?? Has anyone here done that, and would you recommend it?

thanks