We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for the Ex Floridians in the Area

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
675 posts
Save Topic
Questions for the Ex Floridians in the Area

My family and I have gone to MB for 5 years straight now. We want to take a break next summer and head back to the Florida beaches. It has been awhile for us since we have gone to Florida. I have been on both sides of the state in the past. But knowing now what I do about Myrtle Beach is there any beach that comes even a little close to MB in the state of Florida as far as family destinations? My kids spend 90% of their time in the ocean and at the hotel pools so we want the ocean to have decent wave action (not too calm like the Gulf side of FL) and we want a fun hotel with lazy river rides, plenty of pools, and the outside tiki bar with music. I am thinking of Daytona Beach or somewhere near St Pete's Beach but if you know of an area in Florida that is somewhat like Myrtle Beach please advise. Thanks.

John

Wake Forest, NC
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for the Ex Floridians in the Area

Just last Dec. I went to both St. Pete and Daytona. By far St. Pete's was the better of the two. I would never even consider a return trip to Daytona. (We spent a week there in one night.)

Having said that, I have been Fla. in the summer as well, and frankly, I do not wish to do that again either. Bottom line: if it is summer time and I have my choice of destinations, Fla is out....Way too Hot.

I would consider, MB, the Outer Banks or the coast of Maine.

However for a spring trip I would go to St. Pete's in heartbeat.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for the Ex Floridians in the Area

Lived many years in South Florida, and visited Daytona many times. Pretty fun for teenagers and bikers, but wouldn't take my family there. Don't really care for cars on the beach either. St Pete is nice, but not really the resort/lazy river destination you may be looking for. I would say Daytona is the most similar to MB, but MB is more family oriented.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for the Ex Floridians in the Area

LOVE St. Pete Beach. That was our beach destination for years, but it is on the Gulf side, so not much wave action. We went to Outer Banks one year and once my son discovered waves, there was no going back to the Gulf for him! Have fun deciding where to go. Sorry I'm not much help, not really familiar with Florida Beaches on the Atlantic side.

Canfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
675 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for the Ex Floridians in the Area

Thanks for the replies so far. Lots of time to think this one over but I may end up on the forums related to Florida also as time passes. Who knows we may just end up back at MB next Summer again but time will tell.

:-)

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for the Ex Floridians in the Area

I like to go to Cocoa Beach. Not too crowded, some good restaurants and beaches and 40 minutes to Orlando for the theme parks.

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions for the Ex Floridians in the Area

Having lived in Fla for 12 yrs I am a HUGE fan. We like the gulf. My kids like the clear water(which you really don't get anywhere on the Atlantic side) We like Daytona for what it is the driving on the beach, going to the races etc. St Pete, Bradention, Anna Maria Island are our favs. I am a HOT weather person and actually like Fla in the summer. We were in MB in June and I ended up inside 2 days with the a/c off so I could get warm because I had been in the water and the wind was blowing and I was FREEZING it might of hit 80-82 those days and for me I have to have it in the upper 80's to low 90's. LOL just call me a wimp.

I personally could go to Bradenton and lay on the beach get some food from Publix for lunch and dinners in maybe a night out to Shells or heck with my crew Hooters works and never have to do anything else. I wouldn't miss any of the hoopla in MB but my crew loves MB because there is soooo much to do.

It will take you some research but I'm sure you can find a hotel with at least the majority of your wants you will just have to dicide where you want to go.

Good luck

Indian Land, SC
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions for the Ex Floridians in the Area

We stayed in DB Shores this year and were highly disappointed. It is not a very nice area, nor is DB.

We have been to New Smyrna Beach in the past and loved it. I was in St Pete Beach in Aug for a convention and really like what I saw. Not a lot of extras at any of them like their is in MB, though.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
339 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions for the Ex Floridians in the Area

We just got back from St. Pete Beach (just spent the weekend there). The water is absolutely gorgeous and very warm, but in the small bit we went around, it definitely does not have the amount to do that MB has. If you are looking for a good ocean and pool destination though...it may do the trick!

9. Re: Questions for the Ex Floridians in the Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2010, 07:16