We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help-first time in Myrtle Beach

Solon
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need help-first time in Myrtle Beach

I am trying to book a vacation for myself and my children. I narrowed it down to Kingston plantation, but am looking at couple of properties. Does anyone know anything about Arrowhead court, Laurel Court or Cumberland Terrace? I need to know what is better and closer in proximity to the beach. I am looking to spend around $900 per week. Is there a better place I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for all the info since this is my first time trip to Myrtle Beach.

Vicktorya

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help-first time in Myrtle Beach

Here's a map of the resort:

kingstonplantation.com/myrtle-beach-area-inf…

Arrowhead would be my last choice as it is the original building in Kingston and the units tend to be quite small with low ceilings. Laurel Court would probably be my 1st choice of the 3 listed. Cumberland Terrace is the furthest from the ocean but the closest to the entrance.

We love Kingston Plantation. Have been going there for 20 years and our children have never asked to go anywhere else. Youngest was 2 when we first went and is now 21.

Check out VRBO.com as well for many options that may be within your price range. Booking through Kingston directly will add significantly to your end cost and you will not get to choose your unit. However if you want the kiddie water park (geared for 8 and under) you will have to book directly through Kingston. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

Mentioned in this post
Kingston Plantation
Kingston Plantation
34 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Solon
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help-first time in Myrtle Beach

Thank you for the information. I looked at VRBO and Arrowhead court is where I got my lowest quote. Is it worth it to spend $400-500 extra dollars on Laurel? We are basically looking to have a clean place where to sleep and eat. Is there anything else you can suggest? My daughter is 6 and my son is 11. What would you suggest for top attractions as I don't want to waste money.

I also wanted to know where it is best to shop for groceries.

Again, thank you for all your information.

Vicktorya

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help-first time in Myrtle Beach

If you really aren't concerned with the size of the unit then save the money and use it on the rest of your vacation.

Frankly the beach and the activities provided on site at Kingston will keep your kids very happy. The Splash area has lots of kids and they also offer a kids camp there. Very friendly staff there.

I also suggest you read the Things to Do on the left column of this page and then ask about a specific attraction as there are so many here it's really hard to say what you should or shouldn't miss. Much depends upon the likes and dislikes of your kids.

For example, the Ripley's Aquarium might be a good option on a rainy day but it's costly. However, if your kids adore sea life you might consider it a must see attraction.

Broadway at the Beach is a favorite destination and fun to walk around for a few hours-unless it's in the heat of the day.

There's mini golf everywhere.

Our 4 kids rarely left Kingston as it was fun for them to play on the beach every day. They also loved all the pools. We always went to Dixie Stampede because they loved it. In fact they still do! But others will tell you they don't like it.

Also will depend upon when you plan to visit. The 3rd week in June to the 2nd week in August are the busiest weeks and you'll find crowds wherever you go. Some people don't mind the crowds and others shy away.

You have several nearby grocery stores. WalMart is one mile to the right-just before Route 17 and Kroger is one mile to the left. Be aware WalMart is horribly crowded at times. I"m not a WalMart fan but you will find pretty much everything you need there and it's very close.

Again, check out things to do and then ask about a specific attraction if you'd like more information.

Edited: 10 January 2010, 16:57
Mentioned in this post
Ripley's Aquarium
Ripley's Aquarium
7,566 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Solon
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help-first time in Myrtle Beach

Thank you again for the information. I wanted to know which water park you would recommend. I know that there is one at Kingston Plantation and there is another one. My kids are big fans of water parks and amusement parks. Is there any you would recommend? Another question I had was about short cruises for children. Last time we went to Panama City, Florida kids took a great 2 hour Pirate ship cruise. Is there anything like that in Myrtle Beach? Also, are there any chairs with umbrellas on the beach, or do you have to bring your own?

Thank you in advance,

Vicktorya

Mentioned in this post
Kingston Plantation
Kingston Plantation
34 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Panama City
Panama City
Florida Panhandle, FL
New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help-first time in Myrtle Beach

I haven't been on any boat rides but here's one you can do some research on: http://www.captdicks.com/

You may also want to create a new question with "Boat Rides" in the text to see if anyone else has better information.

Freestyle Music Park is an amusement park that is new but it's rather expensive. Check out their website: http://www.freestylemusicpark.com/

You can bring your own beach chairs and umbrellas. Just keep them behind the lifeguard stands as they need to be able to have a clear view. You can also rent them on the beach. Don't know what this years prices will be.

Here's the list of water parks. Again, check previous posts to see what others prefer. We haven't used a water park in Myrtle Beach in several years so I can't give you the most up to date information of which one might be better.

Prices listed are from 2009.

Family Kingdom

300 South Ocean Blvd.

http://www.family-kingdom.com/

Myrtle Beach's Only Oceanfront Water Park

(About 15 minutes from Kingston Plantation}

There's never an admission price to Family Kingdom.

All day ride wristbands can be used on the same day or on different days - you decide.

Amusement Park

All Day Unlimited Ride Wristband Adults and Children - $23.50 (plus tax) Individual Ride Tickets are also available for $1.05 plus tax each and range from 2 to 5 tickets per ride. (See park for specific ride costs.)

Water Park

All Day Unlimited Ride Wristband Adults and Children over 48" tall - $18.95 (plus tax) Children under 48" tall - $16.70 (plus tax)

Turn left out of Kingston Plantation

Turn right at light onto Lake Arrowhead Road

Turn left at US 17

Slight left onto 17 (NOT BYPASS)

Drive 6 miles.

Turn left at 28th Ave North

Turn right at North Ocean Blvd. Drive 2 miles

Look for the Family Kingdom Brochure at local info centers to get coupons

Myrtle Waves

Located at the corner of 10th Ave N. & Hwy 17 By-pass near Broadway at the Beach.

Address is 3000 Mr. Joe White Ave (10th Ave N), Myrtle Beach, SC 29577.

http://www.myrtlewaves.com/

(About 15 minutes from Kingston Plantation}

All day unlimited pass $29.99 + tax

Under 48” & 55 and up $19.99 + tax

2 and Under FREE

Afternoon Special

After 3pm $19.99 + tax

Wild Water

910 Highway 17 South, Surfside Beach, SC 29575

http://www.wild-water.com/interactive_tour/

(About 25 minutes from Kingston Plantation}

Turn left out of Kingston Plantation

Turn right at light onto Lake Arrowhead Road

Turn left at US 17

Take 17 Bypass

Drive 13 miles

Take the exit toward Dick Pond Rd/SC-544

Turn left at Dick Pond Rd

Turn right onto S Kings Hwy./US 17 S.

Drive 2 miles

Mentioned in this post
Kingston Plantation
Kingston Plantation
34 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Surfside Beach
Surfside Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
6. Re: Need help-first time in Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2010, 05:17