We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Myrtle Beach to Asheville, NC Best Route

NC
Level Contributor
355 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Myrtle Beach to Asheville, NC Best Route

Anyone every driven from Myrtle Beach, SC to Asheville, NC? Looking for the best routes...best roads..quickest way...not really looking for scenic. Thanks,

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Myrtle Beach to Asheville, NC Best Route

The fastest probably:

I-22 if coming from North Myrtle Beach, otherwise Conway, Marian, then I-20

Florence (close to I-95), then Columbia, pick up I-26 through Spartanburg to I-74 to Ashville

---------------------------------------------------------

.Alternatively, check the fastest way to via Charlotte:

I live in Charlotte NC & often travel to Myrtle Beach as well as Ashville. So I would recommend the most direct route MB to CLT on I-501 to I 38 N - basically to Marion, then picking up I-74 to CLT; then 485 to I 85 towards Gastonia. Then US321 towards Lincolnton, take exit 43B to go on I-40 West

then exit to either towards Biltmore Village or Downtown, etc...

Nothing scenic either way; it depends at what time you will be around Columbia (or Charlotte - if you pick # 2). If close to rush hour, especially Friday anywhere after 2 pm sometimes, you'll be crawling.....

Often, even the section around Spartanburg can be slow.. Perhaps the workers from BMW Plant in the area take afternoon off on Friday (The plant is in Greenville..), but their rush hour starts around 1pm; I swear...

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Myrtle Beach to Asheville, NC Best Route

501 to 327 north to I-95. Follow I-95 south to I-20 west. Take I-20 west to Columbia and take I-26 north. Take I-26 all the way to Asheville.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Myrtle Beach to Asheville, NC Best Route

I agree with Sophie.

That's the way I always go, and it gets me there pretty quickly! Depending on who I'm with, of course, and how many pit stops they are making!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Asheville, and hope you have a great time!

I go as much as possible, and I live in MB and have always found that route to be the easiest and fastest.

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Myrtle Beach to Asheville, NC Best Route

Another agreement with Sophie's directions. Parents live in Hendersonville and this is the route we take when combining MB with NC trips.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Myrtle Beach to Asheville, NC Best Route

I concur with I-20 from Florence to Columbia and I-26 straight to Asheville. Easiest, quickest. Best wishes.

NC
Level Contributor
355 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Myrtle Beach to Asheville, NC Best Route

Thanks everyone...I like Sophie's suggestion...we're in MB tonight and headed out early in a.m. for Asheville...

I-22

I-20

I-26

does I-26 take us to Asheville or do we need to connect with I-74? anyone know how long it takes to make this drive?

Thanks again for everyone's input. I love this website

NC
Level Contributor
355 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Myrtle Beach to Asheville, NC Best Route

Followed the recommendations and it worked out great...almost all the road are 4 lane with the exception of a few miles in Florence catching up to I-20. Weather wasn't good...rainy and foggy in the mountains...but it took about 6 hours to drive.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Myrtle Beach to Asheville, NC Best Route

Thanks for the feedback, 6 hours is actually pretty good. I am a bit surprised that it was slow around Florence, but you made it. Sorry we did not come back on the day when you were driving (your message 22 Jan)-must have missed it.. But I am glad you arrived safely. :)

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Myrtle Beach to Asheville, NC Best Route

We make the trip from North Myrtle Beach to Fletcher (South Asheville) in 4.5 hours, stopping just once for 5 mins. This is our route:

Highway 22

SR 319 towards Aynor

501 towards Galivants Ferry

576/76 (by-passing Marion)

76/301/327 (passing Francis Marion College on left)

Turn right on 327 towards I-95

Take 95S at exit #170 and go 10 miles to exit #160

I-20 towards Columbia

I-26 towards Spartanburg and on to Asheville

10. Re: Driving from Myrtle Beach to Asheville, NC Best Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2010, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach