We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My head is spinning- where to stay

ky
Level Contributor
239 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
My head is spinning- where to stay

I have looked at so many websites that my head is spinning. My family is planning a vacation for July. I am looking for a 2bdr that is oceanfront. I would like for it to be in an area where there are some things to walk to- shops, restaurants, etc.... but I do not want to be in an area that is big on partying or nightlife. If possible I would like to keep the cost to 2,000 or less We have never been to Myrtle Beach before There are so many different areas to choose from that I am totally confused as to where to begin There are so many thing there to do that we are really looking forward to our trip if I could just find somewhere to stay. I would really appreciate any advice

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My head is spinning- where to stay

I would try to pick your area first; that will pare down your hotel choices to a manageable list.

The busy dowtown area starts around 3rd Ave. S and extends up into the teen Aves. N (the new boardwark will extend up to 14th Ave. N). 21st to 29th Ave. N are the two Avenues that extend to Broadway at the Beach...so anywhere in this stretch is convenient to getting there (it can even be walkable if your kids are able to cross busy streets). This is a very popular area with families, you're not right in the bustle of downtown but close by.

The southern end (the S Aves; the higher the #, the quieter) has some nice resorts and smaller, less expensive ones, most are older but quite a few have been updated & are a good value.

Finally. the north end, from about 52 Ave. N up to 79th Ave. N is a favorite for many older families...this stretch of hi-rise resorts is surrounded by tree-lined upscale residential streets. Just to your north is Barefoot Landing & "Restaurant Row." Relatively speaking, it is the quietest area, but the stores and restaurants are just two blocks west on King's Hwy

(this is also true of the southern end).

Once you have chosen your area, get an AAA tourbook or check their website (aaa.com), it has a map that shows all the properties in order from one end to the other, complete with a list of amenities, price ranges, and their diamond rating for each.

Select a few, and then check their rank & reviews here, or ask more questions in this forum. Everyone has their preferences, but we can't tell you what's best for YOU!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My head is spinning- where to stay

You can click on "Myrtle Beach Hotels" in the column to the left of this forum. Then under the displayed map on the right of the page click on "Display Myrtle Beach Hotels On An Interactive Map" to see the hotels on a map that you can then sort by amenities, star rating, price, etc. One word of caution- From my experience using this feature for other locations I found many errors on the maps so anything you find you might want to verify with another mapping source like Google Maps or Yahoo Maps. You can also go to Yahoo Maps and then zoom to "street view" where you will see everything on Ocean Blvd just as you would if you drove down the street.

tazewell tn
Level Contributor
111 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My head is spinning- where to stay

The maps are a great idea and will really give you something to work with. By July I think the boardwalk will be open so that would be nice. Here are some places you may want to check that will be in that area - Sandy Beach (stay in the Palmetto building), Oceans One, Roxanne Towers, Breakers (just make sure the building picked is ocean front some are not) and Camelot. All of those are within easy walking distance of the boardwalk area and are nice places to stay. Also may want to check on Compass Cove - its a little further south but I haved stayed three times and was satisfied all three.

St. Martinville...
Level Contributor
85 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My head is spinning- where to stay

I was you a month ago! I researched so much that I confused myself even more! Finally I booked the place I didn't want in the beginning....The Breakers. I decided it has something for the pre-teens, the teens and the adults! My suggestion is take a week off, then look again. That's what I had to do. Good luck!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My head is spinning- where to stay

If you want two bedroom a condo might be a good option. We stayed in a nice complex in North Myrtle Beach (Crescent Shores). There were 2 & 3 bedroom condos. We often use vrbo.com.

If you want to stay in Myrtle Beach try The Caribbean, Breakers, Dunes Village just to name a few.

ky
Level Contributor
239 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My head is spinning- where to stay

Thanks so much to everyone. At least now I better understand the areas and which ones are more suited to my family. The maps are a really big help. I have always used trip advisor for the reviews but had never used the forum for help I am glad I did.

7. Re: My head is spinning- where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach